Rusty Gas Tank...now what

streetknight

DCVING
Pulled a tank today on a GN to put a pump in it, this tank is the nastiest one I've seen. Looks like a LOT of rust sediment in the bottom on either side side of the baffle. I already found clogged injectors on this car. Can it be repaired? Can I buy a new tank?

Thanks
Sent from my DROID2

+2 on the new tank BUT also replace the fuel filter, blow out the lines, both supply and return, and have the injectors cleaned and flowed. Then your entire system will be free of contamination.

Do the reproduction tanks offered have the baffles like the originals? I checked a Goodmark and they're metal baffles, is that cool or need something else?

Just went through this myself for the same reasons. The Goodmark tank is actually a Spectra, so save yourself some $$ and just find whoever sells the Spectra tank the cheapest. The link somebody posted is for the Spectra.

The Spectra does have a baffle, it's more like a metal pie pan, but it looks like it will work. The only thing I didn't like about it is the stamping all over the bottom that makes it obvious it's not the original. I ended up stripping the whole tank, bondoing the stamping, and repainting it in a galvanized paint.

Hope that helps!