rusted out body bushings ughh....

topfuel

nitro sniffer
did some surgery today and found out why my rear end isn't centered.

Here's the original thread
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/343550-rear-ends-not-centered.html

The frame is rotted at all 3 body bushing locations behind the rear wheels.
I opened up the sheet metal in the trunk to investigate.

Here's the worst one, your looking at the top of the body bushing because the body has rotted out
attachment.php

Here's a pic with the bushing removed, it's going to need some metal fab to rebuild the rotted body
attachment.php

Hopefully this frame repair washer will do the trick on the frame.
attachment.php

The other two are not as bad but will require the same type of repairs.
I'm welcoming suggestions from anyone that has dealt with this situation before, I'm going to need help with this one...

Attachments

• body bushing repairs 004.jpg
    body bushing repairs 004.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 741
  • body bushing repairs 016.jpg
    body bushing repairs 016.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 740
  • body bushing repairs 017.jpg
    body bushing repairs 017.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 714
First question. Can you weld? The best way to fix this is pulling body off frame. If not cut hole big enough to weld all the way around that washer. Then cut some of that rust out and weld a new panel in the best you can. The best fix is to buy a rust free body and start swapping parts. Im doing a frame off on mine right now and my mounts were ok on body but the frame looks the same as yours. Im using washers from brian at gbody on my frame. The metal they used on the mount area is thicker than the floors. My floor repairs are beong fixed with 22 guage sheet metal I bought at menards.
You will probably need 16 or 18 guage for that area. once you weld in panel install bushings and lower the body down and center it .Once you center it drill holes from under car using the bushings as a guide.I would use some 12 mm bolts and a big washer and drop bolt in from top and tighten down evenly. It sounds easy but let me be the first to tell you its not. I found a lot of spots on the bottom of my floors and most of the seams filled with rust. If I knew how much work restoring this was going to be I would have bought another car. good luck

is that washer big enough to allow you to weld into some good metal?

I think so, my friend is the welder so he'll have to look at it.

I already have the 3 repair washers I need, another friend had them laying around.

The frame I've got for mine had some minor issues but I made my own "washers". I wanted a little more coverage for the two that were in question and needing repair. If you do take the frame out I will tell you to re-weld the seam welds while you're at it. I found lots of issues with blown through welds when I started to look at how badly GM welded it together.:redface:

Attachments

• DSCN0003.jpg
    DSCN0003.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 349
  • DSCN0004.JPG
    DSCN0004.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 358
  • DSCN0017.jpg
    DSCN0017.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 347
  • DSCN0016.jpg
    DSCN0016.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 335
No chopped39 I don't know how to weld, I wish I did.

I already told my friend who will be helping me with this project
"whatever you do, DO NOT LET ME ROLL THIS CHASSIS OUT FROM UNDER THIS BODY"!

That being said I'll have to open up the body enough to weld the washer, and then weld a body patch in something like this I'm guessing.
attachment.php

Attachments

• body bushing repairs.jpg
    body bushing repairs.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 474
Repair kits

There is a guy that has repair kits for that problem. He is on malibu racing sight. i think he might be out canada. He has frame rails and other G body frame repair kits ... Has photos and all to see what you need .. Hope this helps.

Those frame repair parts look great, but we're going to try working with what we have.

Did a lot of grinding today, I think I have enough clean metal to work with on the frame and the underside of body
attachment.php

with the repair washer in place
attachment.php

underneath shot of repair washer
attachment.php

Attachments

• body bushing repairs 030.jpg
    body bushing repairs 030.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 318
  • body bushing repairs 039.jpg
    body bushing repairs 039.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 316
  • body bushing repairs 028.jpg
    body bushing repairs 028.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 319
My son has done a few of these...can be costly be sure to check the ones in front of the rear end as well. If those bolts snap or spin freely you need to remove your carpets to get to them.

More owners have this problem than they realize, unless at some point they have installed the missing lower body bushings. Having sold many many of these cars I installed all the missing body bushings before selling them and I would always keep my fingers crossed that none would spin freely. Most did not.

Just be careful when you do it. You got your gas tank back there........I don't think the metal washers gbody or myself sells are big enough to fill the holes you got in the frame.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Focus on the end result, your car will ride and handle like a new car!

Just wanted to say, great job with the pics,It really shows the problem,how to
get to it in those particular spots,+ how to fix it.

If you take any more pics ,can you back the shot up some to show exactly where you cut thru the trunk to get to those mounts .
I don't have a rusty one now but i drove one a couple weeks ago that i could see were rotted from underneith + this would be handy info if i ever end up with a rusty one.Thanks

Those frame repair parts look great, but we're going to try working with what we have.

Did a lot of grinding today, I think I have enough clean metal to work with on the frame and the underside of body
attachment.php

with the repair washer in place
attachment.php

underneath shot of repair washer
attachment.php

That looks real good. The rust looked alot worse in the first bunch of pics. I would por15 it when finished.Or buy that green frame coating that eastwood sells in the spray can for 22 bucks.

Yea im afraid to look on my car the whole car seems to be more work than i planned on lol i always wanted a gn and now i got what i asked for just didnt think id be rebuilding the whole car one piece at a time lol im sure mine is the same way....