Running out of ideas to lighten the car

Remove the door side rails. You will have to cut them out with an air cutting tool with a 4" wheel. If I'm not mistaken total weight reduction for the rails is 30+ lbs. You may also want to modify the exhaust system to include a small muffler with 3" pipe out the passenger side before the right rear wheel. The aftermarket carpets are much lighter than the factory ones. I personally like the plastic bumpers and aluminum aftermarket supports. The weight reduction is significant and unless you park your car at a mall you shouldn't have any problems. I have had plastic bumbers since 1988 when Kenne-Bell first introduced them without any problems. The other modification that you can make is to replace the drivers seat with a plactic race seat but cover the seat with a sheep skin type seat cover. You can pop in the factory seat after the race. Its held in place by 4 studs and nuts. I remember Jimmy Delesandro saying that when he would stage his car against another turbo Buick with equal power but with a couple of hundred pounds less weight no one knew or cared. The winner got the praise!

Forgot one that I am doing this summer.

No mufflers and the pipes coming out in front of the rear tires. Should save about 20 lbs.

Originally posted by Scott Atk
How about an LT1 starter. Have you done that one yet? Also, I bought the UB Machine uppers and Wilwood brake kit for mine but haven't installed yet. Looks to drop about 25 lbs. per side. At only around $650.00, Its actally cheaper than doing a B-body 12" upgrade which would be heavier than stock.

Scott,

Have you considered how to limit the rebound travel of the UB arms? They will contact the frame and don't have the snubber like the stock arms. I've been looking at doing the same mods you've got listed above but haven't seen a slick way to prevent the contact.

Jim

Jim, I'm aware of the wheels up issue with the UB uppers. My approach is to wait til I have it together to see what will work best. I'll probably start by taking my race shocks off and going back to a street shock. I wasn't all that impressed with the 90-10s anyway. If I still have an issue then I will come up with some sort of travel limiter. If you come up with anything in the meantime, please let me know.