running alcohol on a 93 octane chip 15psi

jjjjjj

can i run an alcohol system on a 93octane chip. I am current running great with no knock at 15lbs of boost at the moment.

can i use the same chip i have, install the alcohol kit, and just crank up the boost to 20-22lbs?
I assume this would be safer than using a "alcohol tuned chip" , as I'm not increasing the timing but am increasing the boost levels. Although I assume I would obviously be leaving power on the table because im keeping the 93 octane timing curve. am i wrong with this?

58mm turbo, 15lbs boost, 42lb injectors, front mount.

When these kits started being used on Buicks 20 years ago, thats what we would use. Street chips.. Thrasher 92. Reds93, etc.. Nowadays most want to get the most out so they get the higher timing, more advanced/programmable chips. For 85 bucks.. its a no brainer. But doesnt mean you must get one.

You may be leaving a little performance on the table without increasing the timing, but not too much in my experience. If you have an adj street chip and increase the timing, the main difference is that an alky chip has a timing delay while the alky kicks in so you don't get any transitional knock. On a stockish combo you can feel the power in the timing difference but on a higher power application its not a big deal as we run closer to stock timing.

Just keep in mind that if you can't/don't adjust the fuel in the chip than your alky will be used as the extra fuel source to run the extra boost. So you better have it turned up and flowing to run 22lbs of boost as opposed to running just the minimum amount of alky to cool the air. Alternatively you can adjust the fuel and use just enough alky to suppress knock.

what type of boost should i be requesting for the alcohol turbo tweak chip on the street? any recommendations for a street car, i still want the car to be able to be daily driven.

how do I know I can obtain this amount of boost with the manual adjustment on the turbo? (i dont have a boost controller).

will it be detrimental to the engine if I get the chip burned for example: 24lbs of boost and my manual adjustment only goes to 22lbs (i dont have a boost controller).

do i have to remove the fuel rail & injectors to confirm the injector size? I can't seem to see any marking on them?

If you remove the chip it should say inj size that the chip was made for. Post a pic of the injectors.

"If you sit in the passanger seat the kick pannel that is next to your right foot. Remove the little round plug and the pannel comes off its behind it."

found it thanks....

also how do I know that I will actually be able to adjust my wastegate to the certain psi? for example i order a 26lbs chip and I cant even get that high by adjusting my waste gate (i heard this is a common problem, meaning you are trying to run more boost than the stock actuator rod can control). I have a precision 60mm turbo, will my rod be able to adjust all the way up to 26psi ?

Last edited:
will 42lb injectors support 22-26lbs of boost with alcohol?
In theory you should be ok, however without knowing more details it's hard to say for sure. What fuel pump? Hotwire? Base tune is critical, alky should only be used if combo is already sound. Adding alky to a troubled combo could be a disaster as alky isn't intended to bandaid cars that have tune issues. I wouldn't shoot for a boost number as that doesn't really mean anything. I would tune in small increments and see how the car responds, not every car will respond the same. As a few others mentioned a chip burned for alky will give you the best results in most cases because of the added timing and having the timing delay will help with transitional knock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk