Running 180 instead of 160 t-stat.

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
I'm sure it's been brought up a gazillion times. Is a 160 stat really the best way to go? To me it would make more sense to run a 180 especially with alky injection. THoughts? Questions? Concerns?

LOWER TEMP /COOLER CHARGE .. I RUN A 160 . BUT AFTER A FEW WOT BLASTS IM AT 200 REGARDLESS.

I used to run a 160, now I run a 180. Dont see a difference other than opening temp. between the two. 160 is too cold in my opinion.

I would think with running a 180 the car would get better mileage and possibly make more power. I would think the intercooler would have more of an effect than a lower engine temp. I mean really, there's a fire going on inside so what's it matter if it runs a warmer temp that's still considered low even by todays standards.

Living in the south I've always ran a 160...but like what Riff Raff says after getting in it my temp jumps 195-200 range.

I have been running 180 degree t-stats for 15 years. I believe there is no down-side to the hotter running engine. The coolant temp has little to do with charge-air temps especially since we all have the pre-heat plumbing removed from our throttle bodies.

Yep, the old wifes tale is becomming internet lore, run a 160 stat, you'll make more power! BULLSHIT:rolleyes: Run a 180

I was running a 160 T - stat for years......finally switched over to a 180 T-Stat to help with the engine running too cool.
Picked up a 170 T-stat for a small block chevy and had a buddy cut it down to the correct size to fit the Buick. Gonna install it before the car comes out of winter hibernation. Since I don't run my car at the track....I think it will be just about perfect .

The 180 t-stat puts much less of a load on the cooling system, fans, electrical system, etc. as well.

From what I've read about burning e85, I think that the warmer he engine he better the burn. E85 need heat o burn Efficiently, and a 160 stat will only hurt my performance on e85. I'm going to leave the stock one in and test it for now.

hello people; I was thinking in the past of changing my stat to a higher one. There's only a few that will fit our cars without rework. I'd like to hear how the 170 works. But talking to TT about changing to a higher temp stat as he has his chips defaulted to 160 or so and he can change that point for a fee?. I still like the idea and I'll bet the coolant temp. will vary less and I think that's good.
IBBY

Look at most other performance cars and boosted engines, they all run 180 or more-all the time.

I had run a 160* since 1996. I got old and realized i like a good heater when it's cold outside so this time around I went to a 180* thermostat. Not only for the heater but also to help the motor run a bit more efficiently and keep the oil a bit cleaner. The temp stays between 180 and 188 down here in south Louisiana so far. I don't ever run the a/c so I am not sure how that will play out. We will see before too long. No ill effects on running a lot of boost either. 30 psi and no detonation on 93 and Alky today. 60* inlet temps in the plenum.

hello people; I was thinking in the past of changing my stat to a higher one. There's only a few that will fit our cars without rework. I'd like to hear how the 170 works. But talking to TT about changing to a higher temp stat as he has his chips defaulted to 160 or so and he can change that point for a fee?. I still like the idea and I'll bet the coolant temp. will vary less and I think that's good.
IBBY

Will let you know how the 170 deg T-stat works when I install it and bring the car out of storage in the spring. I have to agree with John Spina & many others, that unless your car is an all out track car.......the 160 deg T-stat is too cold for a street car. I was concernced about possible blow by and oil contamination & other issues related to engine operating temps not being hot enough to fully expand the parts to their optimum tolerances.

I did have to change the fan on / off set points on the chip though. Bob Bailey / Eric Marshall should be able to burn a custom chip for you .

I believe my Extender Extreme G chip originally had the fans on at 175def F & fans off at 170deg F. This is a bit higher than the TT chip that I used to run which as I recall had the fans on at 165deg F and fans off at 160deg F.

So, with the 180 deg T-stat I installed last summer, I had the fan on changed to 187deg F & off at 170deg F. I dont like the idea of the fan off set point being lower than the thermostat rating, so I think I'll change the fan off to 175deg F when I install my modified 170deg T-stat.

If you don't want to go thru the hassles of cutting down the small block Chevy 170deg T-stat to fit , you can always install a thermostat housing in line on your upper rad hose. Meziere offers one. Summit & Jegs would have these too.
Just be sure to remove the original Buick thermostat first though, as you don't want to leave both thermostats in at the same time.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mez-wn0071/overview/

WN0071.jpg

Yep, the old wifes tale is becomming internet lore, run a 160 stat, you'll make more power! BULLSHIT:rolleyes: Run a 180

Like many things on these cars, since conditions and actual usage varies, what works well is one case for an owner and his car, it may not be what another should do likewise? :eek:

In the desert is is not recommended or smart to run a 180 deg thermostat in the summer, in fact many owners run with NO t'stat half the year.

A GN was here yesterday with 180 T' stat, and the coolant temp was 212 deg?

In my race car I am more concerned about oil temp, not coolant temp, as it must be at least 160 deg before a pass.

If the street car car run a coolant temp of 180 deg. that is fine, but a 160 t'stat with give a normal here GN on a normal day, 180 temp or more cooling temp.