Ruff Idle

Stolden1972

My car is all stock and runs a little rough at idle, where can I start to get it to run a little smoother??? Any Help is Appreciated!

First thing to buy is a scanmaster or turbolink (later requires a laptop). Then do a search of this site, lots of posts about this sort of thing.

If you have the stock chip, they run rough. Buy a scanmaster from fullthrottlespeed.com and get a custom chip made from Eric at turbotweak.com.

HTH Jason

I'd also suggest looking up the gnttyype.org site and doing the spring cleaning. Things like cleaning the IAC valve often get overlooked. New plugs, filters, etc. are good yearly maintenance anyway.

It's hard to tune these cars without a scantool.

mark b said:
I'd also suggest looking up the gnttyype.org site and doing the spring cleaning. Things like cleaning the IAC valve often get overlooked. New plugs, filters, etc. are good yearly maintenance anyway.

It's hard to tune these cars without a scantool.
Also, you need to know that, in the stock configuration of our cars, the idle will 'hunt' for the right RPM. That is different than a 'miss'. A miss, in my experience, is most probably a vacuum leak (assuminng you've done the Spring Cleaning Mark recommended). Make sure you have THE right AC/Delco PCV valve, and check or replace your plug wires too.

My first Buick, a one-owner 87 "T" LTD, had a some popping and a miss....After a lot of looking for exotic causes, the new looking plug wires were the cause of my problems. Sometimes its the basic things that bite us. :)