Rubbing Issues

speedskills

Seniór Member
Just looking for some insight on what I should do. Im getting some rub on the rear tires from the fender lip. I dont know how old or what springs I have on the car seeing as Ive only had it a few years. Springs seem fine with the bounce test. The rub only happens when I hit a dip in the road that makes the rear squat hard. Should I trim the lip or maybe use a roller? Would new springs help? Airbags in the springs? Any opinions or help appreciated.

Just looking for some insight on what I should do. Im getting some rub on the rear tires from the fender lip. I dont know how old or what springs I have on the car seeing as Ive only had it a few years. Springs seem fine with the bounce test. The rub only happens when I hit a dip in the road that makes the rear squat hard. Should I trim the lip or maybe use a roller? Would new springs help? Airbags in the springs? Any opinions or help appreciated.

The original stock rear springs were weak when new...have two people sit in the back seat and you will see that its true....we sell replacement rear springs which will solve the issue as will replacing the shocks best shocks if funds are not a problem is Bilsteins....

anything is better than the 25 yeart old set up I assume is on your car....adding to the issue is none of these cars sit squarely on the frame from the factory...and are missing 4 lower body bushings....again unless this also has been rectified.

Stiffen up the car and do the suspension upgrades I mention and it will be like a new car...your wallet will be a little lighter but the car won't bottom out.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

This is my setup now where I'm getting rub.
3-13-2011 217.jpg
3-13-2011 218.jpg

I have a similar problem with my car. I am running a 15x8 wheel with 275/60R15 BFGoodrich Drag Radial. I was running aluminum drums and switched back to the cast iron drums and that moved my tire/wheel in 1/8". It had a real bad problem when I first bought the car due to the old tired springs, i bought the moog cargo springs and that helped a little. The problem with my combination in the back is the offset of the wheel is wrong, it is pushed too far outward. The previous owner removed the fender trim and gave a slight roll to the fender lip. I tried the airbags only to find it made the car ride too stiff the rest of the time. It only does it on pretty severe dips or bumps. Hopefully my next set of rolling stock will correct the problem.

Ride height is measured behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels at the rocker panels. You have to allow for changes if you're not running a stock height tire or wheel. It should be between 10 & 5/8" and 9 & 1/8". Measure it and see what you've got now. Also, like Dennis said, the stock rear springs are rated very low. 122 lbs/in to compress them. You can get a heavier spring like the Moog 6435 which increases the rate to 141 lbs/in and not suffer from a ride quality issue. Should be about the same for the stock ride height as well.