rubbing alcohol to boost octain

boost jnky

i have heard that putting rubbing alcohol into a tank of 93 octain will bump the octain up. if this is true by how much?

i have heard that putting rubbing alcohol into a tank of 93 octain will bump the octain up. if this is true by how much?

Dont believe this unless you can get pure isopropanol. The stuff at the store is at least 9% water. Buy an alky injection kit and tune with it.

or add xylene or tolulene...... with a capfull of marvels mystery oil, no more than a 33% mix...... cleans your fuel system out real nice too :cool:

Hi,
Not too much octane improvement, I think.The problem lies in relative percentage. It takes a pretty large volume of oxidizers to really crank up the octane in a gallon of gas. If, for example, you put a quart of everclear in your gas tank with 10 gallons of supposedly 93 premium, which is pretty close to straight ethanol,you might bump octane 5 points, which is .5 actual octane! WHo! WHo!
Now we have 93.5 octane! Isopropyl alcohol, at several percent strength, is far less efficacious than white lightning,let me tell you!
Well, anyway, you can probably see my point. Large percentages of the stuff that increases fuel octane are required to get the action desired.The same holds true with over the counter additives.It just doesn't make even a very small difference. Run 100 unleaded,or use ALKY injection. Don't mess around.

Just DRINK the Everclear, and you won't care if it knocks.:D Buy a Alky kit and you'll be WAY ahead of the battle. Octane on demand. :cool: