RTTH7 Event

scot w.

GNSperformance.com
Well it's that time again for the annual Run Through The Hills event here in TN. It's a three day event and this year has a Auto-X school instructed by Danny Popp on Friday, then Saturday is the actual Auto-X, then Sunday is the dragrace & BAER Speed/Stop challenge...

I am entered in all three events and will do my best to keep you updated on how the ol' Buford does! Right now I am off to the Auto-X school so if I don't answer the phone this is why.

Scot W.

Today was a great time at the Auto-X school. Danny Popp, Kyle Tucker, Brian Finch, and a friend of Danny Popp were the instructors and each one drove with everyone at least once each. Out of at least 40 cars each in groups of (7) got to run twice with a total of as many laps as you wished for at least an hour. I hot lapped our white T-Type 6 times and it never got above 180* ;) say's a lot for Intrepid dual fans and a $99 F-Body radiator!! Car ran flawless all day and put up a very respectable time of 39.14... Times keep dropping with each lap as we fooled with tire pressure and camber. DSE's track shim kit sure make camber adjustments nice and easy... I was by my self today so no I couldn't take any pic's of the Buick and I didn't have my video camera but hopefully others that were spectating took some, once I find them I will post...

Tomorrow is the Actual Auto-X ....

Scot W.

Here are just a few of the images from the weekend... The car done fantastic all weekend at the three events and the Auto-X school. Once the complete list of fastest times of every car are completed I will post the list so you can see how the Buick ranked against some of the nicest pro-touring cars competing today..

RTTH7.jpg
IMG_8322.jpg
IMG_8324.jpg
IMG_8326.jpg
IMG_8542.jpg

This was the BAER brake "Speed/Stop Challenge" and I have to say it was just as much fun mashing on the brake peddle as it was the gas peddle!!

Here is some cool info: This years BAER brake Speed/Stop challenge was held at the same track as last year, set up the exact same, using the exact same lane even, Nothing at all changed on my car other than just the BAER brakes...

Last years best time was a 10.54 sec..

This years best time was a 9.70 seconds! (and I still could have gotten better I believe. the times just kept getting better with each pass...10.29, 9.89, 9.70)

For those of you not familiar with a Speed/Stop challenge you start at the starting line of a drag-strip using the tree and go as fast as you can in the 1/8th mile and stop within a 40 foot box of cones located at the finish line... That's 0 - 74 - 0 in 9.70 seconds.

Here is a small video clip of my "First & Slowest" pass taken by (TurboDave)...I have more On car videos with a GoPro that I will post later if they turned out..

[video=youtube_share;FMu6_YqtDZ0]http://youtu.be/FMu6_YqtDZ0[/video]

Here is some Auto-X video's taken by (TurboDave)... I like this first one because it shows the actual speed better. Most video's make the car look like it's moving much slower on the course than it really is.. This course was layed out by Danny Popp and his friend Tony from 10/tenths motorsports. The course had 3 slaloms, Chicago box, Off camber turns and we smoothly ran 80 cars with 12 passes each. That's 960 passes in 6-1/2 hours!!! :eek:

My times were:

54.82 seconds (best time in first round)
51.94 seconds (best time in second round)

PS: The starting long stretch has a 4 cone slalom and look how fast we were able to go through!!!! :biggrin:

Time of 53.89 seconds..

Scot W.

Nice Scott. The funny part is I know exactly where you are in the vids. I used to go up in the area for vacation when I lived in TN. LOL

Awesome videos!! Thanks for sharing!!

Wow just like in the frw pics I'd seen , everyone seemed to get the rear end to cut loose & hang out on that last turn.

Well tell us ......did your " B***H" Stick?

Awesome videos!! Thanks for sharing!!

Well tell us ......did your " B***H" Stick?
You know I never fooled with tire pressure before when autocrossing but this time Kyle Tucker from DSE told me to lower it and we started messing with it and found what works well for the TOYO tires and that B**ch Stuck! lol

You know I never fooled with tire pressure before when autocrossing but this time Kyle Tucker from DSE told me to lower it and we started messing with it and found what works well for the TOYO tires and that B**ch Stuck! lol

You need a pyrometer to check the temps accross the tires Scott. Then adjust the pressures according to the temps. You'll go even faster and handle better to boot.:)

You need a pyrometer to check the temps accross the tires Scott. Then adjust the pressures according to the temps. You'll go even faster and handle better to boot.:)
That is exactly what we used! ;) Gets pretty hard to do when we are hot lapping for 6 passes and then waiting our turn to hot lap again for 6 more laps but we got it figured out... Now it looks like I might be switching to BFGoodrich tires..

Team GNC Performance

Great job Scott. it looks like team GNS Performance had a great weekend. ya'll had a great showing in TN & placing high in the ranks, while the GNS Performance GMC pulling truck took 1st place in the 8Klbs workstock class in NC. truck pull.jpg

Looks good scott. That looks like A LOT of FUN...

Shaun
It is Shaun, 95% of the time when someone does a ride along or tries it for the first time driving they are Hooked! There are a bunch of things to remember and focus on to have a clean and good run on an Auto-X. Hitting just one cone there knocks 2 sec's off your time so having a clean run sure helps...

Hopefully the 2011 TB.com Nats will have a course set up!!

Scot W.

Great job Scott. it looks like team GNS Performance had a great weekend. ya'll had a great showing in TN & placing high in the ranks, while the GNS Performance GMC pulling truck took 1st place in the 8Klbs workstock class in NC. View attachment 144072
All Right!!! Very cool... I have more of your custom graphics coming soon that we will install in Bowling Green... Cool picture!!

Oh and you failed to mention to these people that it was just shy of a full pull at 296 ft ..... ;)

Scot W.

Great pics and video Scot!

Wish I was there, looks like I missed all the fun! :(

Thx for the post!

Great pics and video Scot!

Wish I was there, looks like I missed all the fun! :(

Thx for the post!
Rick,

I spent some time speaking to Gabi about the car and the good data we gathered over last year and this years event and I told her I was talking to you about getting you some good photo's and stuff and she seamed pretty excited and said that would be great for the flyers & adds.. I will get you those pictures & Data as soon as possible...

Scot W.

PS: Gabi took some great pic's over the weekend, check them out!

Scot W.

Well the rankings just came out and we ranked 38th out of 80 cars! We are proud to say we beat some very nice cars this weekend and let me tell ya this was a close field.. There is only 3 seconds between the 10th place and me (38).. I let 4 runs go because of letting the car cool down but we were knocking the times down with every pass so I know we could have done a little better on times. We are very pleased with the performance of our Detroit Speed equipped Buick!

Here is a list of the cars I beat with our GNS T-Type:

Corvettes:

Camaros:
(3)-1968
1969 (Retro)

Chevelles:

* (2)-1966 El Camino's
* 1970 Buick skylark
* 1972 Nova
* 1987 Cutlass
* 1992 Typhoon (V8 & twin turbo AWD)
* 1970 Duster
* 1979 Malibu

Mustangs:
2005 GT

Firebird/Trans AM's:
1970 Formula 400
1978 Trans Am

There are nothing but high caliber beautiful cars at this event, To give you an idea here are just a few photos of some of the cars we managed to beat on the Auto-X..

DSC01298.jpg
DSC01319.jpg
DSC01321.jpg
DSC01372.jpg
DSC01399.jpg