Roots blown + Alky questions...

Iron Indian

I know this is mostly a GN board, but i've seen other setups here so I figured i'd ask.

I know eventully on roots blown cars running alky, the teflon coating on the S/C rotors will eventully get taken off because of the alky (from extensive research on LSx Magnachargers). In theory while running alky, the boost shouldn't drop any because the alky should seal it up to help create boost.

So what i'm asking, have you guys heard of any i'll effects running alky + S/Ced (roots) setups?

I'm running a 50/50 mix now, and i'm S/Ced and Intercooled (99 Grand Prix GTP), since my rotors are stripped, i figure i might as well go more aggressive and shoot for 100% meth. I'm spraying via TB spacer into the blower with an M5.

It is the water that strips of the coating. Not the meth. From extensive researching :D

Alcohol is 21% lighter than water. Alcohol flashes at 70 degree's. Couple these two and you can see why its a better chemical to spray pre-blower.

When a liquid flashes it turns into a gas. So how can a gas used for 1% of the life of the blower strip the coatings? Aside from coatings failing on themselves, which will happen injection or not.

Really? I've heard the exact opposite, especially on the Maggies. Interesting.

So in an S/C application intercooled or not, its best to spray alky pre-blower? I've heard of some spraying post blower (tapping the lower intake manifold). I donno if this is much better or even worth the trouble and extra expense. I'd rather stay pre blower honestly. What do you think?

The best place for an intercooler is after the heat source. Meaning the best place for nozzles is AFTER the blower. But this option may not be viable.

So next best is pre-blower. Doing it pre-blower will increase octane but not reduce IAT(intake air temp). It will reduce IAT by the amount that is reduced coming into the blower. Maybe 20 degree's. Having the octane will allow a hotter tuneup to be run.

The problem is the word "meth" gets thrown around a lot. To me meth injection is that 100% meth. 50/50 is mix injection.. The word "mix" doesnt sound cool.. or better yet windshield washer fluid users call it meth too.. So when someone shoots windshield washer fluid through their blower..they tell everyone its "meth" cuase it sounds cooler. Then the results come out.. my rotors are stripped after I used "meth" injection. And they never fess up they went to autozone and used the blue 1.00 a gallon stuff.

So i'm perfectly fine spraying pre-blower? Will the 100% still help "seal up" the rotors? I hope I see some good gains going from a 50/50 to 100%. Hoping an M5 nozzle is good enough for my setup. BTW, I never ran washer fluid, I ran an actual hand mix of meth and distilled water.

Next question, how worried should I be of the flamabilty of 100% meth? I'm planning on either running a trunk mounted meth tank, or a trunk mounted tank for washer fluid (since i want to keep washer fluid working since this is a DD and I have no room under the hood).

So i'm perfectly fine spraying pre-blower? Will the 100% still help "seal up" the rotors? I hope I see some good gains going from a 50/50 to 100%. Hoping an M5 nozzle is good enough for my setup. BTW, I never ran washer fluid, I ran an actual hand mix of meth and distilled water.

Next question, how worried should I be of the flamabilty of 100% meth? I'm planning on either running a trunk mounted meth tank, or a trunk mounted tank for washer fluid (since i want to keep washer fluid working since this is a DD and I have no room under the hood).

You need to contact the maker of your kit/system for this advice.