Rollmaster std timing set...

mikes86ttop

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
So I'm in the middle of replacing a stock timing set with a rollmaster, and upon install of the new rollmaster set it's got a good 3/8" of slack in the chain(with it loaded),both ways...it's a low (30k motor) unopened...I'm upset at the moment...any words of wisdom would be great...thanks Mike

Last edited:
They have sets with slightly larger OD gears for line bored engines to take up the slack.
Maybe you exchange it for line bore set wherever you bought it from.
Is this the standard set or the upgraded set wiyh the iwis chain?

Std. Set with iwis chain,. Orderd from fullthrottle, on a stock unopened motor with 30k miles...I figured standard was the way to go...Mike

Yeah I would figure that as well.....very strange I have never seen one or heard of one that fit like that.

You don't want it to tight . If it's to tight your front cam bearing wears fast

You don't want it to tight . If it's to tight your front cam bearing wears fast

So how much play is acceptable?

Doesn’t the chain loosen up a bit once it’s worn in?

I think an .005 under chain could cut the slack in half or so.

A half inch play is too much I think.

D

Last edited:
A brand new perfect fit chain will have 1/8 inch wiggle or slack.
And yes it will stretch but only a small amount with a RM Isis setup, the junk chains will stretch a half inch in short order.

Put a wrench on the crank pulley and go back and forth slightly to see how much chain lash it has while watching the cam gear movement.
You do not want it so tight that you struggle to get the gears on.

Everything went on fine, I turned the motor over a couple times by hand, and the slack is defiantly a good 3/8", I'll try to get the video posted it may Not be good quality but you'll get the idea

I don't think a .005 under chain will cut it...gonna call the vendor see what they think

I tried fullthrottle earlier, no answer. I sent an email hope to hear something Monday...

Fullthrottle says run it...I'm not comfortable with it. A few others also say no way, at all ever would they put a new chain, of any brand on any kind of motor with that kind of slack... Mike