Rod bearing question - need someone to look over my math

syclone98

While fixing my timing chain issue (link shown below) I decided to drop my oil pan and clean out the chunks of nylon in the pickup (yes, there were lots).

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/en...ng-chain-does-look-like-normal-wear-tear.html

Since I have a slight rod knock and already had the pan off I figured I'd measure the clearance and install a new bearing to (hopefully) reduce or eliminate the knock. I know that this is a band-aid solution at best, but I'll be rebuilding the engine in a couple of months so I just need this motor to last until then.

Using plastigage, the clearance came back a little over .003". Since the target clearance for a street motor is 0.0018"-0.0022", would installing a .001" under bearing do the trick?

Also, would it help (or possibly hurt) to check all of the rod bearings while I'm under there and do the same thing for any that have excessive clearance in order to bring them a little closer to factory specs?

Thanks much,
Christopher

through the plastigauge AWAY... find somebody with some micrometers & measure it that way.

You're right, it will be a band aid fix. Plastigauge will get you by for what you're doing. Putting .001 under bearings will help. Measure them all if you've got the time. Good luck :)

I have mics and a bore gauge and Plasti gauge works VERY GOOD

I know because I have checked it back to back.

If you have a rod knock and have the pan off, it would be nuts to not clean it out and put new bearings in. I have seen and heard of engines lasting forever after a gonzo rebuild - I went 10K+ miles doing that to my GN and even then the engine failed due to a lean out and massive knock so I would have to say that it would have been a fine long time fix if something else, unrelated, had not failed

Just roll standard bearings in, your old ones have worn somewhat.
Buy one set and plastigauge it, and go from there.

Since I'll be pulling the motor shortly anyway, I just installed a standard sized bearing on the rod with the knock and it brought it back into proper clearance.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Christopher