Rockers Binding on Jesel Roller set w/Champion Iron Heads

Hatdragracer

When bolting on the rocker shafts today. one of the shafts will not bolt on and allow smooth movement of all the rockers.

The issue happened when the rocker shaft was tried on both sides. I tried all combinations of mounting clamps with the same result.

Looking at it..when the clamps put in place all the rockers move smoothly, then when I put the bolts in the rear most rockers bind up and will not move. The very front rocker (#2 exh in these pics) has excessive side to side clearnace.

I measured the clearance between the spacer and the rocker on #2 exh with everything bolted down at 0.044"

My feeling is that the mouting holes in the rocker shaft are off a little and pressing the whole shaft rearwwards when bolted in....I just wanted to get a couple more opinions before I shipped the rockers back.

Attachments

• RH_Rockers_Gap_1_exh.jpg
    RH_Rockers_Gap_1_exh.jpg
    694.3 KB · Views: 304
  • RH_Rockers_Gap_1_exh_measured.jpg
    RH_Rockers_Gap_1_exh_measured.jpg
    627.8 KB · Views: 279
I've seen that when the rockers are mounted on the shaft backwards. there is a difference in dimensions there...

I've seen that when the rockers are mounted on the shaft backwards. there is a difference in dimensions there...

X2... there is roughly 1/8" difference between the forward to center rocker bolt and the aft to center rocker bolt.

not that its important to your issue but those arent jesel

check the pedestil clearance .
roller rockers are not just bolton the pedastils need to be clearances and with those harlands they need a lot more room in saddle than the T&D, champion usually does a good job with clearance so that might not be it

after the last set I installed and the repeated bind issue that even after they were finally bolted down and moved free as the exhaust opened the intake would bind up making preload adjustment impossible . i wont ever use them again and anyone who brings them to me to be installed is SOL

Pacecarta that's funny because that's why I wont use the TD ones, I had a bad problem with them years ago and switched to Harland Sharp and never looked back. I have them on my car now, adjustment and fit was a piece of cake.I suspect the shafts are backwards or the peds need clearance
ML

maybe something changed , stuff happens , but my experience with them recently has not been a pleasure
not that anything aftermarket is ever expected to just drop right on but when the pedastils are cut and they still hit the harland rockers dont have as much pedastil clearnce as the T&D
and the adjuster nuts on those harlands were not smooth ( gritty with aluminum shards in the threads )..i was not impressed

Pacecar...you are correct these are harland sharps.

I measured the pedestals...no difference I could find

I took the shaft apart and swapped end to end...didnt help

I also tried both shafts on both heads and again the problem followed the shaft on both heads.

I will post a couple more pics.

I noted that even with only the rear most bolt installed the rear most rocker was bound between the mounting cap and the retainer washer.

Mike...I feel like there is something off with this shaft....do I need to send the whole set back or can I just get one replaced?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Attachments

• 1387073161541.jpg
    1387073161541.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 192
  • 1387073175995.jpg
    1387073175995.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 194
No update yet...been traveling and unable to give it much time.

So, was still wondering what your solution/outcome was? I just got my new set of HS rockers today and in a test fit, I seem to be having the same issue that you did! Only pulled one out of the package at this point, but will be doing some measurements later. Anyone else out there with this problem? Please chime in and describe how it was resolved.. Can't believe this!!

HS sent me some different size washers to try and free up the washers...I will post pics tomorrow

Well, looked at it from a fresh perspective this morning, and it turned out to be that the rockers were installed backwards. (My post #2). Must be a FNG working at Harland Sharp. I removed the snap ring from the end, pulled everything off the shaft (rockers, spacers, washers) and flipped the rockers over and put it all back together. No bind and a perfect clearance with the Champion irons.

Well, looked at it from a fresh perspective this morning, and it turned out to be that the rockers were installed backwards. (My post #2). Must be a FNG working at Harland Sharp. I removed the snap ring from the end, pulled everything off the shaft (rockers, spacers, washers) and flipped the rockers over and put it all back together. No bind and a perfect clearance with the Champion irons.
I've had other manufacturers send them backwards or with wrong spacers. No big deal and up to the installer to catch

Turned out to be a tolerance stack up problem between the mounting hole in the shaft and the c-clip position. Harland Sharp sent me a shim kit and instructed to replace the end washer with three smaller spacers. Worked like a charm.

Attachments

• 1390084080969.jpg
    1390084080969.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 124