RJC Racing Product Request???

Turbo1dr

9 Sec Wanna-Be
What do you think about a timing cover that uses a crank driven front wheel drive oil pump? I have taken the time to design one myself and it works like a charm. I know this would require the harmonic balancer to be shortened since the oil pump is driven off of the lower timing gear. The stock thrust button will not work either so an adjustable solid thrust button would be required. I found that out when I seen my cam walking forward while cranking the engine while it was on the engine stand.

can you take some pictures to better understand what exactly you are looking at?

On second thought, maybe it isn't a good idea because of compatibility problems.:rolleyes: Plus, I think it may be best to cast an all new cover instead of machine one. It would also have to have a modified right hand intercooler bracket for those people with stock location intercoolers. Anyway, here's a few pictures of what I was dreaming about to possibly help fellow Buick guys:

Here

Here

Here

Here

Half a FWD cover, half of a RWD cover. I've been lobbying for someone to make this for 12+ years but no one has been willing to step up. The startup cost would likely be pretty high unless you had it cast overseas and even then I doubt it would be cheap.

Could the 2 halves be welded together?

Here's a page I have on my site explaining some of the things that had to be done to make the cover. This was the first one I done so it's very crude but functional.

Here

Has anyone approached TA Performance about this? As they have the resources for tooling and casting, it might be something the could do.
You also mentioned a different thrust button and shortening of the balancer.
Was there anything else required to do this?

Heres what you are going to need. The cover, the pump itself, a new thrust button, and a new balancer,. I looked hard into doing this and don't see how it could be done for under $1000 retail price. The tooling is just too expensive. I don't see enough customers for $1000 front covers to make this happen.
Mike

I also looked hard into doing this after Jay made one many years ago and he requested someone look into making these. I also found it far to expensive of a project for the return.