RJC power plate boost measurement

Grandnat said:
I take it you are saying MY analogy is good and you are agreeing with me, because if not I am confused.
LOL Agree, Yes, Clear as mud?? :tongue:

every conceivable question has been asked, hashed out and answered concerning the power plate on this website. In every case someone asks the question, I tell them the answer, they or others do not believe me so they comprise some kind of way of testing it and come to the same conclusion as i told them weeks earlier. Do a search and you will have hours of entertainment.

here are some power plate facts

#1 the one thing you will find when asking questions about the plate. The people that have absolutely no experience with it will tell you all the negative affects that they theorize it will have.

#2 the people that have actually tried it, used it and tested it in any way will concur with RJC's advertised results

To answer this particular question.

#3The power plate can not cause an increase in boost pressure let alone a 4lb increase.

#4There is no measurable pressure drop across the plate.

#5The manifold will actually flow more air with the plate installed than without the plate.

Is the Y fitting for the wastegate installed properly? A decrease in the fill rate of the wastegate would cause an increase in boost. You would think that once the wastegate does fill, that boost would come back down (boost spike), but its hard to push the puck back towards the closed direction once gas is flowing through the puck hole. Maybe one of these wastegate lines got pinched or something got stuck in the line or a fitting...or its been hosed up differently. Did you change the boost source for the wastegate? Is the gauge good?

There is no way in hell it causes a restriction with anything near a stock size throttle body in front of it. If anyone does have any flow numbers with different throttle bodies and with or without a plate installed please post them. There is a point where it will become a restriction but not below at least 6000 rpm on a 3.8 engine.

Race Jace said:
every conceivable question has been asked, hashed out and answered concerning the power plate on this website. In every case someone asks the question, I tell them the answer, they or others do not believe me so they comprise some kind of way of testing it and come to the same conclusion as i told them weeks earlier. Do a search and you will have hours of entertainment.

here are some power plate facts

#1 the one thing you will find when asking questions about the plate. The people that have absolutely no experience with it will tell you all the negative affects that they theorize it will have.

#2 the people that have actually tried it, used it and tested it in any way will concur with RJC's advertised results

To answer this particular question.

#3The power plate can not cause an increase in boost pressure let alone a 4lb increase.

#4There is no measurable pressure drop across the plate.

#5The manifold will actually flow more air with the plate installed than without the plate.

WOW! Ask a question and get a response straight from the man who makes them. I am impressed and further more if you are running 9's enough said. By the way, noticed your profile about the car seat, I have two car seats in mine and two very happy kids who love boost! :biggrin:

Grandnat said:
I agree one hundred percent.

However,assuming the PP is not a restriction, you CAN relate boost to flow in a fixed system. sure, you start changing heads and turbo then they are completely skewed. However in this case nothing is changing except the PP.

So we can predict with relative precision that X boost will equal X CFM all things being equal with regard to atmospheric conditions.

so it is not "apples" to "oranges" at all in this scenario.

boost = restriction (not flow), however if there is no restriction added by the plate then how can boost increase above it?

It cant. Something else had to cause the boost increase. Adding the plate didn't do it. It didn't do it in any application that I added the plate.

Grandnat said:
I know the PP doesn't increase the average pressure above the plate as compared to below it. This has been tested and shown that they are the same.

so I am at a loss to why the boost would increase..... and furthermore, I cannot comprehend how the wastegate would all of the sudden stop controlling boost unless it was already close to or at its wastegate flow limit.

If the wastegate is functioning properly and it is set at 15 psi, then it should keep the boost at 15 psi... thats how it works. It is a boost regulator, it bleeds off exhaust gas once the plenum pressure overcomes the wastegate spring pressure.

IF the PP was a great restriction... then the boost would increase above the PP COMPARED to below it (it would still only be 15psi above it in our scenario but the lower intake would be lower) , but the flow would we decreased. However, the boost reading at the gauge and wastegate should be the same as before since the wastegates would control it.

But that is a big IF and testing shows the plate to not be a flow restriction but a redirector.

Bottom line is that this is a great mod for our cars with no downside.

and the bang for the buck ratio is off the charts IMO.

I can even run more boost on pump gas without detonation.
It did everything as advertised, and my plugs don't lie.

on my car...93 octane...I went from around 17psi to 20 on the stock turbo. 18 on TE44. The power plate may not yield horsepower but becuase you can add boost on the given octane which does add horsepower...why not? I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.

Why don't you remove the plate and see if you get your 4psi back. If you don't then perhaps it was something else.