RJC intercooler/need help

waddell87

Grasshopper
hi everyone, need help bad. Just installed RJC mega now have major engine heat problem. Have the 160 thermo, added powercool fr/vp racing. Can anyone suggest the best duel fan setup and/or better radiator to use. And where to find them. I live in Alberta Can. Just idling around I'm hitting 190 to 200 w/ the fan on high. Thnx very much :(

just installed mine ..... and while i was at it decided to put the f-body radiator in it..... today with 90+ heat = 178º - I love it and think its the best combo - dual fans w/ f body radiator..... drove to Indy and back today.... absolutely NO problems... driving back temps were 170º..... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

thanks, can you tell me where you found them? did they fit good or did you have to mod? What size duals? which f body? :)

waddell87 said:
thanks, can you tell me where you found them? did they fit good or did you have to mod? What size duals? which f body? :)

I have the Ramchargers Fans..... Its a Valeo brand setup... do a search, if i remember right they are from a Dodge Stratus[?].... the Aluminum radiator is from Autozone - Lifetime Warranty - from a 1989-1990 Chevy Camaro Iroc/Z-28 w/ 350tpi engine, Radiator fits perfect, fans need to have "ears" cut off and edge shaved roughly 1/8"-3/16" to fit "perfect" between tanks....simple procedure.... Everything is documented - do a search - you will find part numbers

I just met Don the other night over at our fuel suppliers garage. His car is outstanding and looks cool with the RJC intercooler, but it is giving him loads of heat. Any suggestions would help him alot and is much appreciated.. Excuse the alley shot, I just had to show you how tough that intercooler looks.

Royal-T-Ltd said:
just installed mine ..... and while i was at it decided to put the f-body radiator in it..... today with 90+ heat = 178º - I love it and think its the best combo - dual fans w/ f body radiator..... drove to Indy and back today.... absolutely NO problems... driving back temps were 170º..... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Did you put any of the baffling back in? Or the air dam that runs across the bottom? My dual fans keep it in the 170s when I'm stopped or driving in 'city' traffic. As soon as I get on the highway it creeps up. It peaks in the high 180s, which isn't terrible but it is contrary to logic. More air flow should equal cooler temps. I don't think the air is going to the right places.

Thanks,
Jim

yep i rigged up the baffle under the fmic/radiator....also i made sure my coolant system had enough coolant and topped evrything off after the install. My dual fans are tight against the radiator which should help also and i've taken off the oil cooler [f-body radiator] and have ONLY stand alone tranny cooler [NOT using radiator] In my thinking HOT fluids in the radiator doesnt do anything but heat up the coolant you are trying to cool down... it seems to work. HTH

ps when i find an oil cooler I like I will be installing a stand alone oil cooler as well

waddell87 said:
hi everyone, need help bad. Just installed RJC mega now have major engine heat problem. Have the 160 thermo, added powercool fr/vp racing. Can anyone suggest the best duel fan setup and/or better radiator to use. And where to find them. I live in Alberta Can. Just idling around I'm hitting 190 to 200 w/ the fan on high. Thnx very much :(
Look at the new radiator they're selling at P.T.S. Extreme.

I too have the RJC FMIC. I have a stock replacement GM radiator, but my dual fans are Flex-a-lite brand. I have been thru several dual fan setups, and for the money, these fans ar top-notch. They drop right in and I have about an inch of clearance. They are the thinnest profile I have ever seen. My temps average 172 degrees.
Check them out. You won't be disappointed. Here's the link. Ignore the picture. They are duals.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...t=flex-a-lite+220&searchinresults=false&N=115

Royal-T-Ltd said:
yep i rigged up the baffle under the fmic/radiator....also i made sure my coolant system had enough coolant and topped evrything off after the install. My dual fans are tight against the radiator which should help also and i've taken off the oil cooler [f-body radiator] and have ONLY stand alone tranny cooler [NOT using radiator] In my thinking HOT fluids in the radiator doesnt do anything but heat up the coolant you are trying to cool down... it seems to work. HTH

ps when i find an oil cooler I like I will be installing a stand alone oil cooler as well

Good points. I have a Nick Micale radiator and an external trans cooler but I am running through the radiator trans cooler first. But low-170s is acceptable to me in stop-n-go traffic. I'm going to rig that baffle up and see if it helps at highway speeds.

Thanks,
Jim

Thanks again everyone, I neglected to add that mine too creeps up on the highway, if you punch it even once it gets up to 210 and stays up till I slow down or stop, then I can get it down to 190+ idling. totally defying air flow logic. I even left the orig small IC fan on thinking it would help w/air flow...nope.. I will start my parts quest now and I'll definitely have to take my tranny cooler out that I wedged between the IC and rad and place it how WLDWST has his. Great idea btw. :D

Here's my trans cooler which use to be in front of the radiator. I put it in between the fm pipes. I drilled an extra hole in the fm ds tab to hold the trans cooler in the rear. If you look at the back left of the picture you can see it. I was able to re-use the braided hoses from the front.

Sorry, can't download picture link for some reason. Says it too large.

waddell87 said:
Thanks again everyone, I neglected to add that mine too creeps up on the highway, if you punch it even once it gets up to 210 and stays up till I slow down or stop, then I can get it down to 190+ idling. totally defying air flow logic. I even left the orig small IC fan on thinking it would help w/air flow...nope.. I will start my parts quest now and I'll definitely have to take my tranny cooler out that I wedged between the IC and rad and place it how WLDWST has his. Great idea btw. :D

if you are creeping up to 210 somethings wrong w/ your cooling system; do you have a 160 thermostat, are you running a chip that calls for the fans to turn on sooner, ARE YOU SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH COOLANT [ i know this sounds stupid but if you have air in the system and not enough coolant, you will find temps like you're describing], whats the condition of your radiator? What were the temps before the install?

chrisgarrett I dont see a pic on my end.. I'm running a 160, my fan kicks on at 160 I have a high lo switch and run it on high always, and I can turn it on high with my manuel switch also. I can hear the diff in speed when I do.Rad is fine I even added cooldown fr/vp racing which suppose to cool up to 50 deg extra lots of racers use it and say it helps. I was running 160 to 170 before never seen it above 180 unless drove it hard on a very hot day and of course on the hi-way would cool down quickly. There's a little scale around the fins in the rad but by no means bad. I will flush or replace asap.

As you can see, my trans cooler is off to the side. Cannot see it unless your looking for it. My car has an old KB Big Boy and rarely gets to 180, even on the hottest days.

Ramcharger Dual electric fans and wiring

Bought mine from www.laneautomotive.com for $100 plus shipping. Fits great. Trimm all four ears off flush with fan shroud. Then undercut by tabs to match rest of fan's surrounding lip. Fan assy will now bow and snap into place under edge of tanks ( 1/16" wider before this last undercut). Two tabs 1 1/4" WIDE x 2" LONG AT TOP AND TWO tabs 2 3/4" long for the bottom. Drill one hole for left lower tab to anchor into rad hoop. Drill rest of tabs to use stock locations. Drill four holes in radius of shroud away from where the blades spin and use lock nuts. That's all there is to it. Good luck

hotrodgary said:
Bought mine from www.laneautomotive.com for $100 plus shipping. Fits great. Trimm all four ears off flush with fan shroud. Then undercut by tabs to match rest of fan's surrounding lip. Fan assy will now bow and snap into place under edge of tanks ( 1/16" wider before this last undercut). Two tabs 1 1/4" WIDE x 2" LONG AT TOP AND TWO tabs 2 3/4" long for the bottom. Drill one hole for left lower tab to anchor into rad hoop. Drill rest of tabs to use stock locations. Drill four holes in radius of shroud away from where the blades spin and use lock nuts. That's all there is to it. Good luck

Do you know how much cfm the ramchargers pull and how long ago did you buy them? Think they still have them? I ask because I ordered a dual fan harness fr/ caspers that go with the ramchargers trying keeping things simple. If I can find some/ or if anybody knows some for sale they would be my preferance choice. thnx alot

Ramcharger's fans

Bought my fan set up about 2 months ago. They are made by Valeo and sold by Lane Auto. I emailed Brent Abrams. The harness was included ( ALL 60039 part number ?? ) and does a three wire into a 4 wire adaptation. I also saw Racetronix and Caspers both have dual relay wiring harnesses for $59 and $69. Fan is $10 cheaper without the harness from Lane. Mine was plug and play. I also asked Mike Licht who used to sell this set up from Full Throttle Speed until Ramchargers folded. He said the harness I got was just fine. The only " down side" is that this does run both fans at once and on "hi", but since you do want to cool down and a resistor ( stock ) set up uses almost the same draw, why not just cool it down fastest ? CFM is more than double the stock by feel . I heard it was 2400 or 2700 ; more likely 2400cfm. It is very quiet !

Thanx so much! everyone has been such a big help. Now to get out my plastic and get to work..