RJC crank pulley hitting?

VADER

Little engine that could
Anyone ever have this problem before? I searched, and came up empty handed. I installed the crank pulley, and now its seems like I am getting a clanking noise at idle, and more when I rev up. Never had this problem before. The crank does wobble (hope its okay) and seems to touch the pulley above it. I may grind it down a little all the way around.

I take it no one has had this problem or am I just exposing a bigger problem? The clearance even turned off is very little between the 2.

Crank wobbles? I wouldn't grind anything yet. You have a big issue somewhere I would think. Better check the balancer too.

After reading some old posts, you are probably right. I will at least make sure it is on tight, I think it always moved though. Why I can hear it now, I do not know. What do I look for on the balancer? Cracks, wear?

Isnt life great? :)

Check for cracks. Bet you find one. You might pull it off and do a good inspection. If it checks out ok....:eek:

If the crank is wobbling at the front wouldn't have anything to do with the flywheel. I would make sure the balancer bolt is tight and go from there. Isn't the torque on that like 250 ft lbs??

Ok, starting digging in. I notice the balancer moves with the pulley, so I remove the crank pulley. Balancer looks ok from the front, but is loose. I started to loosen, and it didnt feel like 219lbs fighting me, and it was not fully tightened. Rather than tighten, I want to check it, so I remove the bolt, and the balancer moves forward about a cm, but wont come off.
Do I have to remove the crank sensor? Is something else holding it on?

Are you..

Ok, starting digging in. I notice the balancer moves with the pulley, so I remove the crank pulley. Balancer looks ok from the front, but is loose. I started to loosen, and it didnt feel like 219lbs fighting me, and it was not fully tightened. Rather than tighten, I want to check it, so I remove the bolt, and the balancer moves forward about a cm, but wont come off.
Do I have to remove the crank sensor? Is something else holding it on?

sure the balancer is moving the "cm" you describe, or is the crank moving that much?
If the bolt is that tight, [something less than 219], and the balancer moves, it's possible that the bore/crank surface is fretted, from being run loose, or the thrust brg is toast.
Take the sensor off. No point in chancing a problem w/ it later. Once the bolt is out, you should be able to tap the balancer off the crank. [Unless the key is messed up.]
Some folks claim they have to use a puller. [A recent thread about this].

Most times I need a puller. Not that its overly tight fitting but I feel better using that than whacking at it with a hammer or something like that. I only had 1 out 5 that I didnt need the puller. Whats weird is they go on easy enuf its just getting them off or at least the first 1/8" of it & then it just slides off.

Adding picture if it works. Balancer is cracked along the keyhole. So, I will have to buy a new one. Thanks for the help everyone, hopefully no internal damage is done. Crank doesnt want to move at all.

Attachments

• balancer.JPG
    balancer.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 251
Same thing happened to me some time ago cracked rite along the slot. my old knock detector would go off all the time and that was the problem. replaced it and haven't had a problem

Trying to tighten the new one, is there a trick to it? The engine turns, and I have vise grips on the balancer to hold it, but I cant get it torqued down to 220 lbs.

I think I will try the chain through the balancer hole and breaker bar method.

Vader, I wouldn't do that or you might crack the new balancer again. Try blocking the flexplate from turning or use a turning tool to hold the FP. I don't like pounding anything on the crank, hard on the thrust bearing. My .02$ Gene

Well, the new balancer is back on, I tightened it as best I could. It is making noices from the pulleys, so I have been spraying the best quieter stuff on them, that works for a little bit, but then I have to respray.

Also making noices when I rev it up, but who knows, I switched the tb/plenum, downpipe, and crank pulley at once. Could be the dp hitting.

Also, got a code 23, will post about that. Never ends with these things.