RJC boost controller OR adj. wastegate?

spoolinV6

Going to alky soon and i need a way to turn up my boost. Dont have any experience with either of the two and since they both do pretty much the same thing i was wondering what you guys thought..........

take your pick

Stock Turbo? If so, the stock wastegate won't go high enough without being unreliable. :biggrin: You will need the relief valve or an electronic controller.

I'm using a "grainger" type of valve to control boost, along with a stock-type wastegate which is more effective than a "bleeder" type valve, but I don't know how it compates to a boost controller though...

Claude :smile:

but would i also need an aftermarket adj. wastegate if i purchased the boost controller?

Get the controller, then decide for yourself. Play with it. Results vary. I think that you do need a controller of some sort regardless of your decision on doing the adjustable actuator.

Going to alky soon and i need a way to turn up my boost. Dont have any experience with either of the two and since they both do pretty much the same thing i was wondering what you guys thought..........

take your pick

The RJC boost controller will cause the turbo to spool up quicker but you will need an adjustable wastegate unless you like 14 lbs of boost max.

made up my mind and going w/ the adj. wategate actuator which i am almost 100% sure thats whats needed to increase boost.

For those that are running the manual boost controller to do away with the solenoid...did you really feel that your turbo spooled faster? I understand it helps w/ larger aftermarket turbos but do you think there will be that much of a noticeable difference on the stock turbo?

YES
made up my mind and going w/ the adj. wategate actuator which i am almost 100% sure thats whats needed to increase boost.

For those that are running the manual boost controller to do away with the solenoid...did you really feel that your turbo spooled faster? I understand it helps w/ larger aftermarket turbos but do you think there will be that much of a noticeable difference on the stock turbo?

i guess that got your point across.....thanks i'll take your word on it

any drawbacks w/ it?

my guess is probably NO

thanks a lot lpaulabbot but you really dont have to go through the trouble....one last question....for those that have the HD adj. wastegate is it still possible to turn down the boost to lets say 18 psi or so, or is it only made for 20+ psi and nothing below that??

My HD WG would not go below 20 lbs boost. I'd get a stock adjustable WG, and a RJC controler. You'll have more range, and faster spool. You can't use a stock (non adj) WG with a RJC controler. If you try, you'll get more boost, but it will spool VERY slow.
Good luck.

Mike

i use the Q-boost controller with what i believe is the grainger style controller as mentioned above and i dont see the need for an adj. wastegate. i have been as low as 15psi and as high as 25+psi without touching my wastegate adjustment! burning/melting ur hands is a thing of the past!:D

i use the Q-boost controller with what i believe is the grainger style controller as mentioned above and i dont see the need for an adj. wastegate. i have been as low as 15psi and as high as 25+psi without touching my wastegate adjustment! burning/melting ur hands is a thing of the past!:D

That is no joke. I hated burning the fingers before the boost controller.

My HD WG would not go below 20 lbs boost. I'd get a stock adjustable WG, and a RJC controler. You'll have more range, and faster spool. You can't use a stock (non adj) WG with a RJC controler. If you try, you'll get more boost, but it will spool VERY slow.
Good luck.

Mike

this makes the most sense and sounds correct....who else backs this up?