Ripped off on eBay??

klrv6

Have a burnout party!!!
I won this auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2479414868&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Now this guy refuses to let me pick it up, he hasn't even refunded my money. He says he meant to put a reserve on it but for some reason I was able to purchase it for $20.51. Should I just chalk this up to my first burn on eBay or should I see what can be done with eBay and his local police because it seems to be online fraud? I wonder if he is smart enough to see that if I was the highest bidder ($20.51), he really won't get his $100 out of it.

Contact the police first and see what you can do about it. I think eBay takes a while with that, something like 30 days to see what happens (buyer and seller "work it out").

The responsibility of putting a reserve on it is solely the seller's. It is unfortunate if he forgot, but does not license him to send you away, refund or not. I would exhaust any and all avenues to get the item you won and not settle for a refund even if he offers it to you. What if he accidentally put a reserve in that was too low (i.e. $20 when he meant $200)? It would still be his own mistake. A seller has plenty of time to review his auction and make sure that he has set everything up right.....heck, the auction doesn't even get posted up on the site for an hour or two most of the time anyway, so there is no excuse.

I'm not a big ebayer, but as far I as I know they have changed the rules as to fees or whatever ebay charges for a reserve. He may just be feeding you this story to worm out of the fees.

Regardless, this should be taken up with your local authorities. But no worries, there are enough arm chair lawyers in here to settle your matter. :) Good luck.

GN85 is right about your local police, call them first and have them contact the office in the sellers town.
As far as getting anything from Ebay forget it. Ebay has a max $200.00 refund of witch they take $25.00 for administarion fees. So, for them to look at your situation you'd have to send them four dollars and change. I got taken for $988.00 for three boxes of Hockey cards in 2002. All I got back from Ebay was $525.00 (3x175) and 13.21 from Paypal. The guy was from buffalo and I was there two weeks ago. I call the Cheekatowaga police and the said I had to contact my local police first.

Be thankful it is only twenty bucks.

MJH

change of heart?

Now he wants me to pick up the motor. I think my request for him to look at all my legal options paid off. If you don't hear from me next week, send help.