Ripped a CV boot on the honda-ever use a "split boot"?

turbosam6

My cars suck
I put a new half shaft on the g/f's civic a few years back, and while changing the oil today I noticed it has a big rip in the boot. Its not clicking yet. My buddy told me you can buy a "split boot", to just replace the boot without having to remove it. But, he said they suck. I'm just trying to make it last a year at the most. have you ever used one of these split boots, and how did it work? Thanks

They do suck, it wont be long before the grease starts to sling out of it. Either go with a Moog 1 peice boot, or replace the shaft.

I'm in a similar boat. Very high milage Accord that I'm trying to get another year out of. I used a split boot probably over 4 years ago on one side and put another on the other side about a year ago. Both are still very much intact and functioning well. They are hold on by a series of small bolts. IF you keep your eye on it (to see if it has failed) there is very little downside to this (cost probably $15 or less) and you might save a lot of money. I check mine when I change my oil.

If I'm not mistaken VW ran a split boot for a couple of years with pretty good success. It may not be the exact situation but you get the idea...

:cool:

I only takes about an hour to put a regular boot on the car. The only special tools are the pliers to crimp the clamps and the big socket for the axle nut. The joint will be held on with a snap ring or split ring once the boot is cut off. You will have more time messing with the split boot than it takes to do the job.

Split boots are mostly garbage

CV axles are really inexpensive now, and most are lifetime guaranteed. Replace the axle and have a nice day. :cool: