rings for .020 J/E piston

NC87GN

johnny boost
What type of ring set do you recommend on a set of J/E .020 pistons on a 3.820 bore? Thinking of using Speedpro moly plasma file to fit.. Also what ring gap are people running on the top and bottom? Thanks in advance...

Mike Banas
87GN

I went with Total Seal top gapless on mine...just did a leakdown and compression check after putting 550 miles on the new motor...compression was at 165 PSI for all cyls...leakdown was 2.3-2.7%

Originally posted by MSDGN
I went with Total Seal top gapless on mine...just did a leakdown and compression check after putting 550 miles on the new motor...compression was at 165 PSI for all cyls...leakdown was 2.3-2.7%
Did you used the Quick Seat powder on your motor? Get any oil out the breathers? :D

IMO I would not run low tension rings on a street or race engine without an evac system. No doubt the total seal rings do their job but you sacrifice longevity. Your speed pro moly file fits will be fine. No expert but that's my $.02....Ring end gap depends on hp level.

Wish I could find the article I read quite a few months ago. :mad:

It dealt specifically with total seal gapless rings used in the top land. And specified why it was a VERY bad idea on forced induction engines, especially if it's going to be seeing severe duty at the track in excess of 20# of boost.

It had to do with combustion gasses that could get traped below the top (gapless) ring and eventually busting it and/or the ring lands.

But since I can't find it to quote, all said above is "IMHO".

I went with the Total Seal gapless top ring on my last motor....it's back in the shop gettting another going through becuase the thing smoked at idle like a two stroke.
I have come to find out that they make three different oil tension ring sets for that piston. My current motor builder tells me that total seals high tension ring is pretty comparible to everybody elses std street tenstion ring at 22lbs if I remember right. My last motor had their med tension rings which are 10-12ish I think. No good for a street car. Mine somked at idle, but cleared up under load. Then they have a low tension ring at about 5lbs.
I am going to try the Total seals again with my fingures crossed. The second ring will be a Napier type to aid oil scraping. I hope this combo does the trick. In the end, I think just a good set of file fit Hastings would have done the job. I always fall for the "latests and greatest" stuff
:mad:

Originally posted by JeffG
I went with the Total Seal gapless top ring on my last motor....it's back in the shop gettting another going through becuase the thing smoked at idle like a two stroke.
I have come to find out that they make three different oil tension ring sets for that piston. My current motor builder tells me that total seals high tension ring is pretty comparible to everybody elses std street tenstion ring at 22lbs if I remember right. My last motor had their med tension rings which are 10-12ish I think. No good for a street car. Mine somked at idle, but cleared up under load. Then they have a low tension ring at about 5lbs.
I am going to try the Total seals again with my fingures crossed. The second ring will be a Napier type to aid oil scraping. I hope this combo does the trick. In the end, I think just a good set of file fit Hastings would have done the job. I always fall for the "latests and greatest" stuff
:mad:
What seals did you have on your intake and exhaust valves?

O-ring snap on type. They were all in place too. We guled the intakes on to make absolutley sure they wouldn't blow off under high boost. Never really got a chance to test that therory out :rolleyes: Motor came back out after about 2k miles of trying to get the thing to stop smoking.
No intake manifold leaks either. No PCV issues either...it was the rings.

Intercooler....I did use Quick Seat and haven't seen a drop of oil out the breathers...

Scott,
Do you know what second ring and oil ring pack you used? I hope to be able to make the same statements you guys are making someday........

They do as we say. Mine smoked a little at first too. Some hard blasts and mileage made it stop smoking. I did have a busted spring and tore seal that was found later. Don't have it back together yet to see what it looks like now. LOVE the clean valve covers!

JeffG...Total Seal part #M5899....these are file-to-fit rings...not sure what oil ring pack it had...you can call TS and ask them...