ring and pinion change?

BallisticV6

Has anyone here ever changed their ring and pinion gears in their rear?

If so how difficult was the job?
Any special tools required?

I attempting to change to a 4.10 rear but want to do it myself..

Any comments would be appreciated.................

I assume its not a TTA. And I assumme its not a 9 bolt rear.

Next..if you dont have the experience, you'll destroy the gears.

Sorry I didnt give you what you wanted to hear.

Youll need more in tools that what someone will charge to do it. Typical labor ranges from 125-200 approx.

Yes.... it is an 89 Turbo Trans Am

Yes.... it is an 89 Turbo Trans Am with the stock 9 bolt....
Im curious to see what my car will do with 29" tall slicks 4.10 rears and my new trans brake.

Re: Yes.... it is an 89 Turbo Trans Am

Originally posted by BallisticV6
Yes.... it is an 89 Turbo Trans Am with the stock 9 bolt....
Im curious to see what my car will do with 29" tall slicks 4.10 rears and my new trans brake.

you plan to drive it all the time with 29" tires :confused:

hope not they look silly enough with 28" tires

If not then the gears will be a waste of time and $

It not only takes tools but takes experience more..I do gear installs and dont even use my pinion setting tool nomore I go strictly by pattern and I vary the patern slightly depending on main usage of the car

Its not going to do any better than the 3.27 it has in it. And you'll have to run the car into overdrive.

Let alone you'll need a 15 inch wheel that has its problems with disc brake clearance..could..

I guess if its a track car, full cage, and a stage motor that can be rev'd to 7000..no problem.

Oh yeah the transbrake is a TH400 and you'll be launching at 30 PSI...but then you wouldnt do that on a 9 bolt..but a 9 inch :D

Plenty of TTA's in the 10's and 9's on high gears 3.0, 3.25..i've heard some running 3.73 on 12 bolts..but never 4.10's..

Guess you'll be the first..good luck.

Ohh BTW the pinion bearing is 175.00 if it gets damaged. Its kinda special.