Ride height and Alignment

edfiero1

I think my 84 T-type must have a spring cut, or some sort of lowering springs as the center of the front wheel well opening measures only 25 1/2 from the ground. Anyway, my question is HOW, if at all, lowering the front end effects the alignment? For example should I have the alignment shop add in more toe, camber, caster to compensate for the changed ride height...or does it make no difference?

I am continuing to chase the problem where my steering wheel doesn't return to center after a turn. Knowing that alignment does impact this, I got to thinking, do I need to go outside the factory spec to compensate for the altered ride height.

Thanks

If those are OEM springs and over 33 years old, they will loose a little compression over time 25.5 is pretty close to spec.What are the tire an wheel size will play a big part of the height as well. But if go to a reliable alignment shop with a state of the art Hunter Alignment machine it will make all the correct adjustments for your toe,camber an caster.

If those are OEM springs and over 33 years old, they will loose a little compression over time 25.5 is pretty close to spec.What are the tire an wheel size will play a big part of the height as well. But if go to a reliable alignment shop with a state of the art Hunter Alignment machine it will make all the correct adjustments for your toe,camber an caster.

Occasionally, over certain dips in the road the tire will rub the inside of the fender well, so I think I'm lower than just normal aging sag. I thought spec was closer to 27. Wheels are after market, but the tire is the stock size in front.
Still wondering if a lowered stance calls for any teaks in the alignment settings.

Your body bushing have most likely collapsed too.

When I installed poly bushings on my 87 over 10 years ago it raised the body over 1/2"

Lowering the front will change the alignment, mostly the camber will change and a little caster. The top of the tire will tip inward, that will increase the negative toe causing inside edge wear. As to if the alignment should be tweaked, not necessarily the specs tweaked, but adjusted back to stock specs should be done. If you are road course racing then that is different. But if you are running stock size tires up front I figure you're not.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk