Reversed Coilpack - what will it do?

Boostmeister

I just noticed my coilpack is backwards on the module. The wires are in the correct place from the plugs to the coilpack, just the coilpack is backwards, eg. the molded numbers on the coilpack 1, 3, 5, are toward the front of the engine, but the 1,3,5 wires are to the back of the coilpack. Does this have any effect on spark?

You would think that the designers of the coilpack/ module, after going through the trouble of molding the cylinder number into the coilpack, would have offset the coilpack so it could only fit one way. Now, if the coilpack is reversed and the wires are hooked up according to the coilpack, won't the spark be wrong?

Originally posted by Boostmeister
Now, if the coilpack is reversed and the wires are hooked up according to the coilpack, won't the spark be wrong?
No because it's a waste spark system. That means that the plugs are fired in pairs according to which two are grouped together on a given coil. Spin the coil around 180° & plug the wires back in and nothing's really changed.

Waste Spark Maintenance

Periodically, you should swap the wires for the paired cylinders, so the current goes the other way. It puts the electrons back where they came from, and makes the plugs and plug wires last longer. Probably every six months, or six thousand miles would be about right. Buick never advertised this, since they like to sell plugs and wires.;)

Periodically, you should swap the wires for the paired cylinders, so the current goes the other way. It puts the electrons back where they came from, and makes the plugs and plug wires last longer.
Do what? This is a first for me hearing anything about this. Surely this was stated in jest. :p

90% of the stuff posted in here is posted in jest. Most of the time, we jesters don't know it tho'.

:)

QUOTE]Periodically, you should swap the wires for the paired cylinders, so the current goes the other way. It puts the electrons back where they came from, and makes the plugs and plug wires last longer. Probably every six months, or six thousand miles would be about right. Buick never advertised this, since they like to sell plugs and wires.[/QUOTE]

I prefer to put some Slick 50 on the outside and a drop in each end of the plug wires to cut down on the electrical resistance and instead of swapping the three pairs of plug wires to reverse the electron flow, I simply reverse the battery leads and run the car for about an hour.;)

Even though it makes no difference electrically, it is still confusing to see the number 2 wire on the number 6 plug, or whatever. Not to mention if an unknowing mechanic were to remove any wires without marking them.