Retiring Soon

gn86randy

No can......can
And we have no idea where we would like to settle after 20yrs of doing the Navy thing is coming to an end, need my turbo brothers and sisters help on this one, post whats good about where you live (close proximity to a 1/4 mile track:smile:, low taxes:cool:, that type of info is needed) to help with this decision thanks, any and all responses appreciated in advance.

After spending almost 15 years of my 23 in the Navy in Virginia Beach, I didn't end up too far away. Right over here in east TN. (Knoxville area).

Sorry, no 1/4 mile tracks, but as I've found out, 1/8 mile tracks are just as much fun and not so hard on the car.

I ended up here because my searches in the south (FL/TX) I discovered it's way too hot more me. Having been born and raised in WI, I already knew the north was out of the question (too much snow and cold).

I was looking for a state with no income tax. (wanted to keep as much of my Navy pension as possible). That was mainly TN, TX, FL. Hence ended up here in east TN because of the great year around weather (MUCH better than west TN). I guess because we're so close to the Smokey Mts. it regulates the weather much better. Milder summers and milder winters than the west end of the state.
Low cost of living, reasonable realstate costs, very low realstate taxes didn't hurt either! Our winters aren't a lot different than what you're used to in VABeach. Maybe a little cooler.

My choice

Bowling Green, Ky. I left Central In. after 35 + years of cold and snow. 1/4 mile track right here--@ least once a month they have a mayor event @ Beech Bend Dragstrip. Track opened last weekend--first of next month is the NMCA event. Right on I-65. 1.5 hours North to Louisville--1 hour South to Nashville. Perfect weather--had 1-2 in. of total snow this past winter--coldest winter in the past 30 years. Rolling landscape with lots of red clay. Many TR here. BTW, the state of Kentucky don't tax your pension. Best of luck.

Thanks Dave and Lot

Both places sound very nice, but its a tough decision, I plan on being a Walmart Greeter and wife plans on retiring from the Fed Gov't so we need a close proximity to a military base or federal office bldg as well looking at having at least 4-5 acres partially wooded nice weather golf course also close by,

Don't have any advice on where to settle, but congrats on you retirement and thanks for you service. What kind of work will you be looking for?

Both places sound very nice, but its a tough decision, I plan on being a Walmart Greeter and wife plans on retiring from the Fed Gov't so we need a close proximity to a military base or federal office bldg as well looking at having at least 4-5 acres partially wooded nice weather golf course also close by,

Why do you need close proximity to a base or federal building? I've been retired since 88 and gotten along quite well without either.

I can tell you one place not to... the Washington DC area. Cost of living is astromical, ethe pace of life is hectic to put it moderatly, 2nd worst traffic in the nation. On the plus side, 6 out of the top 10 wealthiest counties in the nation are in the immediate DC area. The federal government has lots of jobs (and is hiring every day) , and the contractor support to the government is huge as well.
I am lucky to be part of BRAC (Base Realignment And Closure) and will be relocating to Redstone Arsenal, Huntsville, AL. I will only work one year after the move, retire (no tax on the federal pension in AL either) and work for a local contractor for a bit longer. I will move NLT 17 July, 2011, can't wait!

I love living in central North Carolina. Close to the mountains and I can get to the beach in 3 hours. There is a 1/8 mile dragstrip 10 minutes from the house and I still get to live in the country. Lots of turbo guys around including Richard Clark whos shop is 15 minutes out the old country roads. Plenty of land available. Good luck on your retirement and thanks for your service.