Restoring Tail Lamp Assemblies

bigballsbilly

So I sanded, buffed and cleared my tail lamps. They came out terrific. But the bezels look like crap.

How have you guys restored the bezels? They look like their black molded plastic, however the horizontal surface that goes towards the deck lid appears it was painted. I don’t know if this is how it was from the factory, or if someone got lazy doing a cheap respray.

My question is ... how have you guys restored your bezels?

Here a pic of one done and one not yet.

Attachments

• BC042935-E89A-4A4F-AB66-9E57CDE6E0E8.jpeg
    BC042935-E89A-4A4F-AB66-9E57CDE6E0E8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 140
I sprayed the bejezus out of mine with Yamaha Silicone Spray (like I do with all my plastic trim and tires).

It's not 'perfect' but it worked pretty good and arrested any further deterioration.

That looks great compared to one not done. Nice ones are hard to come by and when someone is selling they want a fortune for them. If i remember correctly i sray painted mine several coats when i had them apart with gloss black.

If you don't mind , what was your sand,buff, and clear recipe? SEM satin black for the win.

Harley D windshield, visor polish. Or, headlite restore kit.
Wax/grease remover for plastic, made by Sem.
Sem satin black, labelled as trim paint.
I take them completely apart, scrub, lightly scotchbrite the reflector area, paint it white. Appears to reflect light much better. Add LEDS, done.

If you don't mind , what was your sand,buff, and clear recipe? SEM satin black for the win.
I used 220 grit for the first step of wet sand, and 400 for the final. I buffed using meguires rubbing compound in slow speed as not to build up too much heat, and 4 coats of clear.

After I did them I read that more like a 2000 grit sandpaper would have been more appropriate, but after the buff and clear you cannot see any scratches in the lens whatsoever.

Does the clear coat stay on over time? I know on front headlights it flakes off over time.