Restore, X clone, part out, or wait?

Brian Mc

Tree Fiddy
Last year I sold my 86 T-Top GN because it was a good deal from my end for a 122,000 mile car. Now (this week)I've acquired an 87 GN Hardtop Posi car, and am trying to decide what to do with it. I have a dry garage to keep it in, and the car's condition is a straight body, no wrecks no dents but covered in tiny dings and 99.9% rust free. It was a 1 owner car, but now has 282,000 miles. It's ROUGH. Still runs and drives, so basically for me it would be a simple dissasemble and body shell repaint, powertrain resto, trim and fillers, and interior(almost all of it). Console and dash are OK, but the rest is shot. 2 or 3 bent wheels, All body panels except header panel(has 81-83 and 87 grille gone) good and useable.

If I do a complete nut and bolt frame off(which it really doesn't have to have it's so clean underneath), and do it myself except for the body paint will the miles be a problem? Does documenting all of this start your mileage back over AFA value goes?

Should I just part it out, there's:
Doors
Rearend
Console
body shell
fenders
hood
spoiler
drivetrain, LC2 w/BRF etc... But I just don't think I could do it, it would hurt too much.

GNX clone won't cost much more....

Or I can just sit on it for X or XX years. Thoughts? I have little invested in the car so it's fine where it is but I can also start if I want to.

Always cheaper to buy. If you get the body & interior done. Then you still have a 288k motor and driveline so............:eek:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$pit. But you will know what you have. Total restores are for keepers or ultra rare cars.

Just my 2cents.

I'm kinda going to agree with you Ronnie, except...IF you enjoy doing resto work yourself as a hobby. My 82 GN will require a lot of work and I know that. It's the same year I graduated from High school so to me it's like a late grad present for me. I may not be able to drive it for a while but that's ok because I have a plan on what to do with it. I've just about got all the parts so now the money has to be right. Sad to say it isn't right now and that's ok. Delayed gratification is one of the benifits. If you want to part it out, will you make all your money back? Probibly, but I will also tell you that as the years go by fewer of these car are out there so if you have a solid platform and the time/money, you might want to keep it in one piece for now and decide later.

Make it into a street ripper. Forget painting/restoring body. Get used parts and spend as little as you can to go as fast as you can. It could be alot of fun. Better than spending tons of man hours trying to restore it and it still be not worth much.

Post some pics.. Miles to me mean nothing if the car is solid. U could buy a low mileage car then you wouldnt want to drive it or you could build this one up and enjoy it knowing what you have done to it. I have seen some 200,xxx miles cars that look better then 40, 50,xxx mile cars. Its all about what you want out of it. I get tired of cars being parted out for the wrong reasons unless they are badly damaged beyond repair i think they all should be given a chance. Post some pictures and get some feedback then go from there..

Good luck

I'm sure we all remember the GNX that was parted out in the last year because the owner couldn't sell it and was tired of having it around. I'm sure the parts would be welcome to keep some of the other cars alive but if you like what you have, have some fun with it.

Im a sucker for restorations. I love the chance to make the car the way I want it while staying true to the original intent.

Miles don't matter. Build it, drive it, enjoy it and worry about values if you decide to sell...

BTW, I had a 160k T that looked better than a 70k T... Miles don't matter...;)

Good Luck with your decision.