Reproduction GN Rims

Alan Faircloth

Just returned from 2.5 days at SEMA in Lost Wages, Nevada. For those who have never been.....YES, it is absolutely HUGE and there's really no way to sum up or describe it. It is definitely something that the full impact is best achieved by experiencing it.

Anyway, while there, we talked to a company that makes rims (or wheels if you prefer that term). We asked them if they could make exact reproductions of the GN wheel, but in polished Aluminum. They said they could, but wanted to know the initial order quantity in order to determine whether there was sufficient interest and sales volumes to justify the project. The wheels would look exactly like the originals, only aluminum and lighter. Its my understanding that the big knock on the factory wheels is the weight. Its my recollection that the originals weigh about 37lbs each.

Please note that these are very early discussions and there are a number of considerations. What we would like to know is what, if any, interest there would be in reproduction GN wheels? Is steel or aluminum preferred? What price would be attractive (Specialty Wheels Ltd and others sell the Buick Rallyes at around $135 to $140 per wheel)? Assuming a price of $125 to $150 per wheel, would there be any interest? Any show of hands so we could pass along some numbers to the company? I know of one wheel refinishing company that will restore the original wheels for around $200 per wheel (OUCH). BTW, the wheel maker at SEMA said they could vary the widths also (7", 8", etc.). Is this of interest?

Responses are obviously what we (actually the potential manufacturer) is looking for. They need information in order to determine whether this is a worthwhile project. My guess is that the wheels would be distributed throughout all the normal channels to maximize sales. However, no one else seems to be asking the question or offering to do some research on it. NO NAMES will be provided, only compiled numerical data. This is not a commitment to purchase, just a request for info/comments.

Thanks,

Alan

Definitely be interested if they could produce a polished aluminium rim in that price range. I will be glad to provide any information needed.

GN Repro Rims

Originally posted by arista5
honestly i would have to see it, but you have my interest

Mike,

I agree with you about seeing it but wanted to see if our reasons were the same. My reason would be to ensure that the repro is in fact a perfect replica of the original. Is this your thought as well?

Alan

I know you had said varying widths would be available, but what about varying diameters? I would think most people want original size but if I spend money on rims I would like to get something a little bigger if possible. Thanks for taking the initiative to investigate this potential project.

Re: GN Repro Rims

Originally posted by Alan Faircloth
Mike,

I agree with you about seeing it but wanted to see if our reasons were the same. My reason would be to ensure that the repro is in fact a perfect replica of the original. Is this your thought as well?

Alan

correct, and also i want a high polished aluminum, that is almost identical to chrome as if it is going to be a replica i want it as close as possible. otherwise it will look like poorly maintained chrome and make the wheels look worse

Thanks, Alan!

*******Super-glossy clearcoated billet aluminum

*******15", 16", 17" diameters

*******8", 9", 10" widths, with appropriate backspacing

HTH :)

I might be interested but would need to see one first before making a commitment.

Have you ever considered making a GNX replica wheel? Classic Industries told me that they stopped selling them(temporarily?) due to manufacturers tooling problems.

16x8 chrome for me, please.

If you do a search on this board, and at www.gnttype.org, you will see that some people have been looking for this sort of thing.

Also, check the for sale section. Used GN wheels go for @$150 in good condition. I am sure those same people would pay $200 for a new 16" or 17".

I agree with Arista5 and Two Lane

Would be nice with the chrome instead of polished alum though :cool:

Well, assuming they want 100 sets ordered to make production, assuming they want $100 per wheel. That would be $40,000.

Know any venture capitalists looking for a long term investment?

Chromed Aluminum

Originally posted by MELOVEGN
I agree with Arista5 and Two Lane

Would be nice with the chrome instead of polished alum though :cool:

I forgot to mention that the manufacturer also offered chromed aluminum as an option. Apparently, the chroming of the aluminum would not affect weight due to the thin layer of chrome that is actually used. They also launched into a discussion of how you chrome aluminum but I got lost in all the tech talk. About all I got from the dog and pony show they subjected me to is that chroming aluminum is a little trickier than chroming steel. I thought they were setting me up for a higher cost/price of the wheels, but when I asked they said no. I immediately started wondering why they subjected me to the discussion in the first place if it wouldn't affect the cost of the wheels.

Great comments/suggestions. As for the GNX replicas, the whole conversation began with a question about TTA wheels. Of course, its my understanding that the front TTA wheels are the same as the one's used on the GNX. That discussion quickly derailed into the one about GN wheels when I simply asked if they could do it. We never did get back to the TTA wheels. I'm sure its all a numbers game in that high level of interest/demand equals greater likelihood of success.

One thing I found interesting was the number of companies that seemed interested in business, even small business that they might not normally be interested in. I think the economy might be one factor in that a number of companies are simply looking for work. Orders from existing customers have dwindled and they don't want to lay off people, so they are looking for business. As long as they cover all their costs of production, they can retain their employees instead of laying them off and shutting down plants or production lines. Breaking even is better than a loss anyday.

Alan

Thanks,

Alan

Stock Repo's

I'd be interested in a set as well,thought about awhile ago.Made a few phone calls but kinda got stone walled because they said there would be massive tooling costs.

These rims sound like a good deal... even at $150 a wheel.
I have to agree with Alan ,I just this week, checked on having my GN rims widened to 8" and all of them rechromed.....the refinishing company quoted me $180 a wheel to rechrome and $195 to widen and rechromed.
Personally I would go for "16 no bigger, at 17" they ( in my opinion) would look to "out of normal" now considering none of been fabbed ... it may look different mounted on a GN.
So if one could be mocked up in someone's photo shop program......at 16" or 17"....

later