replacing rotors

gpadilla1071

Hi all, I just replaced my front rotors (very much needed). My questions is should I hand tight the middle bolt or should I tie it with a socket wrench? Is it suppose to be a little loose or did I do right right thing by tighten them up nicely? I drove the car and didn't feel and different, just a little smoke came out, but I assume is because the oil film that the rotors came with. I did wipe the rotors before installing, but I guess it still had a little film if lubricant left over... Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!:)

do not drive it!!!!!!!!

they are to tight, and will burn up the bearings.
proper way is to tighten the center nut using cresent wrench, while spinning the rotor by hand, just snug, then back off 1/2 turn or so, then gently tighten slowly until resistance is felt, back off to closest notch for cotter pin,
with clean hands, grasp the rotor see if you feel any rocking movement,, if you do feel rocking, try to go to next tightest notch, you do not want any rocking, but....
you do not want to preload them.
I'm sure other will have their own version of how they do it, but this has worked for me for over 40yrs.
good luck

Thanks a bunch! We'll do. Besides, I notice that my upper control arm bushings are shot.:eek: Any recommendations on what type of bushings should I go with? Advance auto sells their OE style and are made of rubber. I have read on this site that the poly ones are no good and make noise. Any thoughts?? Thanks!

Moog problem solver gold series rubber.

Use a heat shield on the passenger side.

Airbag heat shields work great with hose clamps.

After you tighten the center nut until its snug you back off the nut to the first slot a cotter pin will go through. also use brake clean on the rotors- you do not want oily film or residue on them.

I notice that my bushings and anything related to that area needed replacement. I went and took my upper arms and are being prep for prime and paint to get the new bushings in. I appreciate the info :)

I notice that my bushings and anything related to that area needed replacement. I went and took my upper arms and are being prep for prime and paint to get the new bushings in. I appreciate the info :)

Glad to see you are keeping it and getting back to tossing money at it:wink::biggrin: I meant working on it.