replacing head gaskets have ?'s

turbotoyz

under reconstruction!
first question is:

my car has studs already installed from the orginal owner, one of the studs came out during the disassembly process do i just torque it back into place and what to torque it to? or seal it in with something. (loctite, thread sealer ect..)

2nd question

i am goin back with standard 86-87 gm head gaskets what do i torque them to with the studs?

thanks in advance

turbotoyz..

Originally posted by turbotoyz
first question is:
do i just torque it back into place and what to torque it to? or seal it in with something. (loctite, thread sealer ect..)
You reinstall it with Loctite Teflon sealer. You only need to go hand tight at this point. Perform the final torque to the heads within an hour and you will be AOK.

2nd question
i am goin back with standard 86-87 gm head gaskets what do i torque them to with the studs?
Generally, people go with ~70ft/lbs. The trick is to get all the head stud nuts tightened to the same torque level. Wait an hour, back off one nut and retighten to the ~70 ft/lbs and repeat for each remaining stud - following the correct torque patterns.

If I may suggest, call ARP.

I have studs, and just went through the exact same situation you are in. I torqued to 60 ft-lbs (Factory specs) and it leaked like mad. I ended up calling ARP, they said 85 FT-Lbs, anything less wont crush the gasket. That was true for me, I had to replace my new gasket as it would not seal up, even after I torqued it to the 85 ft-lbs. (I drove it in between)

I ended up switching back to stock TTY bolts. No leaks yet!

Good luck,
Bob