replacing bumper fillers

turbojoe

86 GREY T-TYPE
Is it absolutely necessary to remove the bumpers to replace the the fillers front and rear? My guess is that it would make it easier, but can it be done w/o removal? Thanks, JOE
Also, sentiments on Fiberglass or ABS? :smile:

fillers

Yes you have to remove the bumbers and the rear tail lights and the front head lights bezels, and the springs for the front grile and thats about all,just remember when putting the bumbers back on put a rag on the fillers on the conners so you dont mark or scrach them up, good luck.

Ok, thanks for the tips. I could of sworn someone once posted that you could possibly get away without the bumper removal. Looks like I got lots of work ahead of me. Is there a tip for getting the bumpers back on straight? Should I scrbe something as a reference? Thanks

I definately recommend you scribe an outline on the bumper supports for reference. Also, you may run into some shims upon taking the bumpers off-it is important that you make sure the same number of shims go back into the same location upon re-assembly. Rest assured that if I can tackle this...you can too. Just take your time and you'll do fine. BTW, I used fiberglass fillers from Gbodyparts and the fit was great with very minimal fitting required.

Rear bumper has to come off i used a swivel trans jack to hold bumper you will need this if working by yourself. Cover bumper ,jack and filler.
Front bumper can stay on be patient cover as above take off headlite bezel.

look at last weeks thread I started on fiberglass fillers ther is pics of my cars tords the end of the thread

Just remember that the bumper assemblies on these cars are HEAVY if you still have the steel reinforcement. I have done it by myself by hand, no jacks or anything just be prepared for how heavy they are. I replaced the steel reinforcements with aluminum ones years ago to save lots of weight.

Today, I wouldn't attempt it by myself if they still had the steel reinforcements, back isn't what it used to be.:biggrin:

I just replaced my fronts with new stock, freshly painted fillers. I did not remove anything or loosen anything but the 3 screws and push tab on the top and the 4 on the fender. Took me about 20 minutes. No problems.

I haven't removed the rears for 8 years, which is a very long time to trust my memory. You have to remove the tail lights, but you may get away without removing the bumper. In any case, you will probably test fit them before painting and you will know at that point if you have to remove the bumper.

I replaced my front bumper fillers on my old car w/o removing the front bumper. It wasn't easy but I got it done.

Just remember that the bumper assemblies on these cars are HEAVY if you still have the steel reinforcement. I have done it by myself by hand, no jacks or anything just be prepared for how heavy they are. I replaced the steel reinforcements with aluminum ones years ago to save lots of weight.

Today, I wouldn't attempt it by myself if they still had the steel reinforcements, back isn't what it used to be.:biggrin:

I can see why your back is torn up....too many years of this type of work took it's toll....I've got the same thing ahead of me, replacing the fillers plus the bumper with a new one...plus the back one to do also.......still have the rear axle to jack up and rebolt....we sure know how to tear up our backs, don't we?

I sometimes wonder if the pain is worth it.....then one look at my late Dad's Grand National does it...pretty fortunate to have such a cherished memory of him.

Watch that back, Mark.

Bruce '87 Grand National