Replace Oil Pan Gasket and Rear Main

ccognetta

Now that I have a new rebuilt turbo and some mods, my oil pan gasket appears to be leaking oil all over the place, and even some from the rear
main seal. I have some questions:

How difficult of a job is this?

Can it be done at home?

Best way to do it?

Thanks.

It looks fairly easy to me. I'll know for sure by Sun. since I'm doing mine this weekend. Sorry if that doesn't help but if you don't get any answers by then let me know.

The oil pan can be done in about 2hrs. You need to remove the crossover pipe and that is it, take the bolts out and the pan can be pulled out. Make sure you clean both surfaces very well, the cleaning takes the most time. I don't know what you plan on using for an oil pan gasket but I recommend cork. I used the rubber felpro one before and never could get it to seal. The cork sealed the first time. For the rear main you well need to remove the tranny.

If you are doing it in the car, the pan will sometimes hit the crank throws and the motor will need barring over to clear.
The wire harness that runs along the front of the pan is usually filthy and kinda a pain sometimes.

The oil pan can be done in about 2hrs. You need to remove the crossover pipe and that is it, take the bolts out and the pan can be pulled out. Make sure you clean both surfaces very well, the cleaning takes the most time. I don't know what you plan on using for an oil pan gasket but I recommend cork. I used the rubber felpro one before and never could get it to seal. The cork sealed the first time. For the rear main you well need to remove the tranny.

No need to remove the transmission to replace the rear main seal. Drop the pan and remove the rear main cap. The end..:)

I did it last spring in my garage. Took a total of about 3 hours, like someone said remove the crossover pipe, drop the pan, may need to turn motor over to get it to clear the crank(I had to). the rear main seal, you can also do then this was very easy. If you do a search for the procedure there is some very good information. Someone had posted a step by step of doing both, thats what i followed, found it very helpful. My pan and rear main seal hasn't leaked a drop since. If I can do it, anyone can. grab a jack and some wrenches and have at it. Good luck.

After everything is Very CLEAN!! A little trick I use is to get the Red Spray Tack & glue the cork gasket to the pan. Some use dental floss to hold it in place as well & once up snip it off.