Repairing OE transmission exhaust hanger

meanchicken

gallo vicioso
Has anyone done this?
How?
Please be veeeeeeery specific...:rolleyes:

Looks like the hanger attachment that connects to the cat needs to be drilled to remove the factory rivets and rubber piece.

Is the bigger piece that goes to the trans mount the same way?
Does the top piece need to be removed to fix it or is there another way?

Thanks!

Well my hanger was OK but the rubber was shot
Drilled out the rivets and replaced with bolts
So I used a tire sidewall figured it was tuff enough:tongue:
Cut it with a sawsall
Worked fine been on the car 3 years:)

Yes, the rivets have to be drilled out....not hard to do at all. Look at the piece I made out of aluminum.....I bolted the rubber part with stainless nuts and bolts..:wink: If yo notice the small stainless strip on the black rubber, that's a temporary brace to hold it where it's torn....to keep it from tearing more until I can find another 2" wide rubber strip.

And no, the trans mount part does not have to be taken off...you can reach the rivet for the rubber strip with your drill bit by holding the loop out of the way...just look at it, you'll see what I mean.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Attachments

• Shirley,me, the cats, snowstorm, birds,deer, Mom, Thanksgiving 161.jpg
    Shirley,me, the cats, snowstorm, birds,deer, Mom, Thanksgiving 161.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 370
  • Shirley,me, the cats, snowstorm, birds,deer, Mom, Thanksgiving 154.jpg
    Shirley,me, the cats, snowstorm, birds,deer, Mom, Thanksgiving 154.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 399
  • Shirley,me, the cats, snowstorm, birds,deer, Mom, Thanksgiving 164.jpg
    Shirley,me, the cats, snowstorm, birds,deer, Mom, Thanksgiving 164.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 489
Well my hanger was OK but the rubber was shot
Drilled out the rivets and replaced with bolts
So I used a tire sidewall figured it was tuff enough:tongue:
Cut it with a sawsall
Worked fine been on the car 3 years:)

That's a good idea, I guess I'll try that.....thousands of old tires laying around the countryside....if not, my neighbor has a few cars he's not using right now:rolleyes:

Thanks for the idea...no reason why it shouldn't work. Rubber is rubber is rubber (unless she gets pregnant:redface:) Oops! My bad.:tongue:

Bruce '87 Grand Natonal

So if you're near a grain elevator/farm/.. An old piece of rubber conveyor belt makes a good replacement too. More flexible that the tire. Plus they're usually reinforced with fiber

I'm prolly just going to use a couple of the reinforced exhaust hanger repair strips that can be bought in the self help section of the local auto parts stores.

You could just run the car without it...i do.

Yeah...been doing that for too long now already.
It's why the other exhaust hanger on the passenger side just forward of the axel (behind the muffler) is now torn too....and why my passenger side pipe occasionally contacts the drive line....and the rear axel....also might be at least part of the reason why my #2 tube on my passenger header cracked at the flange.

Too much unsupported weight wagging around.

I'll fix it.;)

Yeah...been doing that for too long now already.
It's why the other exhaust hanger on the passenger side just forward of the axel (behind the muffler) is now torn too....and why my passenger side pipe occasionally contacts the drive line....and the rear axel....also might be at least part of the reason why my #2 tube on my passenger header cracked at the flange.

Too much unsupported weight wagging around.

I'll fix it.;)

I know a couple of guys that don't run them. Anybody else out there had problems from not running it?

I tried it once by accident. Caused a lot of knock with the exhaust rattling around.

That's the other thing I forgot to mention.

When I hammer it from a roll sometimes, the false knock kicks in and kills me.
Also does it sometimes at the 1/2 shift.

Yes...I'm positive it's false cuz when it does it, it spikes in and out almost immediately on the Direct Scan.

So if you're near a grain elevator/farm/.. An old piece of rubber conveyor belt makes a good replacement too. More flexible that the tire. Plus they're usually reinforced with fiber

That's exactly what I used. Got a big chunk of it in the garage. It's a pita to cut so I know it will out last the bracket:rolleyes: