Repair Crankshaft or turn it into a lamp.

strungout6

So to make a painfully long story short and to the point, when I had my rotating assembly assembled the first time by the local machine shop they failed to square the billet main caps (by tapping forward and aft on the shaft) before tightening the studs. About 75 miles later the thrust went out and ruined my factory 87 crank. I replaced it with an aftermarket one and been good ever since. The damaged crank is still sitting on my bench and every time I enter the shop it mocks me because I was too busy to build my own engine the 1st time and that is what ruined it. Is it worth anything to have the stock crank repaired/welded and keep it? Or just make it a lamp by my kegerator.

A lamp would be my choice! :)

I have part of a forged crank that broke on run-in years ago, and it is now my reminder under the bench to NEVER use a damaged or repaired crank?

Thats a good point, I never thought about using it after I fixed it. Let alone selling it to someone and it going bad on them. Looks like my kegerator might have a new friend.

This one is WAY past over size thrust bearings. It pushed so far fwd I believe there was .050 on the dial indicator. The other offsets were starting to rub the webbing.

Lamp it and forget it. Since the newer (lower cost) units have come out I don't think i'd put a stock crank in a rebuild unless it was going to stay 100% stock.

Last edited: