Repaint! Would you go base/clear or single stage?? Pros/Cons?

Boston GN

I will be repainting my car early next year. It currently has a base/clear, but I think I read on this board that Dupont?? has a new single stage out that's beautiful. I'm tossing around the idea of going back to that.

What are the pros and cons of each type?

Single stage will look deeper. You can single stage it then add some black to the clear and spray a couple coats. Turns out amazing show car shine

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Cons to single stage are upkeep ! Garage kept ?

Single stage black with clear mixed into the paint for the final coats. House of Kolor paints.

That's gorgeous^

What's the purpose of clear mixed into the last few coats? Durability?

Cons to single stage are upkeep ! Garage kept ?

Only comes out on nice days. Stays covered in an outside car port. So no direct rain/snow/inclement weather. It only gets wet when I wash it basically or unless I get caught out in it.

Single stage will look deeper. You can single stage it then add some black to the clear and spray a couple coats. Turns out amazing show car shine

THIS^^^^

Adding clear kinda defeats the purpose. Single stage is mostly clear to begin with so adding more just adds thickness and more durability problems down the road. The less thickness is best.. Show cars have a lot of material on them and if that's all it's gonna be great but if your going to drive it less is better!

Putting the clear into the paint provides depth and clarity and avoids the "plastic coated" look that can happen with clear coat applied over a simple color.

House of Kolor paint system is compatible with this method but not all systems are.

Adding clear kinda defeats the purpose. Single stage is mostly clear to begin with so adding more just adds thickness and more durability problems down the road. The less thickness is best.. Show cars have a lot of material on them and if that's all it's gonna be great but if your going to drive it less is better!

See below. I beleive I can speak from a position of experience here. Too bad my shakey hands can't take a decent picture.......

This is a car we just did for Lou Czarnota about 3 weeks ago using the method 87_WE4 suggested. I'm certain there will be no durability issues with the paint we put on this car.
PPG acrylic urathane base coat (1 good coat) then mixed with Deltron Concepts 2021 clear (2 coats)

But of course, it's all a matter of preference.

Attachments

• 104_1294.JPG
    104_1294.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 356
  • 104_1290.JPG
    104_1290.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 351
  • 104_1291.JPG
    104_1291.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 340
So using this process, can it still be colorsanded and buffed to rid any peel?

Straight single stage looks way better than base clear period! Been doing body and paint for 30 years and i wish i would have done it . My buddys chevelle looks hands down better,no difference in durability or upkeep,they are both urethane. Put 3 coats of single stage,then wet sand with 1000 grit and put 2 more coats on,boom looks amazing. i have personally done this process and it looks way better than my car which is base clear wet sanded slick down to the rockers and buffed. Of course this is just my opinion

So using this process, can it still be colorsanded and buffed to rid any peel?

Any repaint is going to have some degree of orange peel. Whether or not it will wet sand out will hinge mostly on the prep work and what kind of care was taken between laying down each coat/stage of paint.

I'm no stranger to paint work, but haven't done any single stage stuff since lacquers, last few years after tree coats of clear I've been block sanding wet. Then two more coats clear. Walk through the papers and ride the buffer. I have heard of guys using solid colors single stage but then clearing it as if was Bc/Cc they swear by the depth. I've never done it, but can see how it would work. I'm afraid my environment isn't clean enough to just hose and go.
I am.really interested in trying though, I've always heard single stage does not hold up.to uv as well as bc/cc is there any truth to this?

after talking to my painter I'm going to go with single stage. Our question is, what is the ratio of Clear to the Paint? He uses Single Stage on his show cars, but hasn't heard of mixing the two, so if you guy's would give me the ratio it would be great thanks

He would have to ask the paint supplier / manufacturer for their recommendation.