Repaint! Would you go base/clear or single stage?? Pros/Cons?

A lot of it depends upon the paint brand and type of clear you plan on using.

That info will help with answers.

My painter used house of kolor brand paint, and i recall him saying something about that being one of the paints that was compatible with this method. I think there are others that can be used like this, but maybe not all.

I think when I talked to the supplier they said it was compatible, I'll check and see. from what I've seen thats the way to go

On solid colors I think you get a little more depth but with out the clear the color shows scratches a little more with a metallic paint I always shoot clear if you buff a metallic paint you can go through layers of paint causing it to look blotchy

On solid colors I think you get a little more depth but with out the clear the color shows scratches a little more with a metallic paint I always shoot clear if you buff a metallic paint you can go through layers of paint causing it to look blotchy

good info, I'm really leaning towards it

Phoneman's car looks great, someone did an excellent job.

Your's will look better with a PPG base/Deltron high solids clear mix.

Lay down one coat of base black and then two nice coats of base/clear mix.

Once you've done that, sand on it all day long if you want.

You will be seriously happy with the results and the durability of the paint will be impressive too.

You will be seriously happy with the results and the durability of the paint will be impressive too.

Damn...I got a promotion...Now I am phoneMAN...:D
Hating on my Standox paint?? LOL

Bryan

images

Son-of-a-bitch!

My name is Guy so I shoula at LEAST got that part right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your car does look great, I mean that.

No disrespect meant when I say a BC/BCCC /BCCC combo will look better. It' just the preference my team has come to prefer when helping out some of my GN/TR buddies with paint.

No one process is "the best".

Like motor oil, it's a matter of preference, nothing more.

The satisfaction with the paint lies completely in the eyes of the car owner.

Sorry for messing up the moniker, "Phonedude" :p

images

Son-of-a-bitch!

My name is Guy so I shoula at LEAST got that part right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your car does look great, I mean that.

No disrespect meant when I say a BC/BCCC /BCCC combo will look better. It' just the preference my team has come to prefer when helping out some of my GN/TR buddies with paint.

No one process is "the best".

Like motor oil, it's a matter of preference, nothing more.

The satisfaction with the paint lies completely in the eyes of the car owner.

Sorry for messing up the moniker, "Phonedude" :p

DAMN that is funny shit !!!!!!
Made my day man, thanks

Bryan

thanks, I'll tell my painter what you suggested. He told me that he usually puts down 3-4 coats of single, but since were now talking about adding clear thats a different story

I have mostly done show cars and restoration the last 30 years mostly because i'm picky like that. paints have changed alot over the last 30 years mostly from government regulations,you about have to have a approved paint booth just to buy paint in our area.I guess were talking black paint here) the advantage to base clear when painting base drys fast any imperfection and blocking can be at this stage fixed before applying clear.I Like to shoot 4 coats of clear dry over night sand with 600 then 1000 and shoot 3 more next day let set a week then i will sand with 1500 2500 and buff it depends on how much money you want to spend how much you drive your car etcI have one customer that wants his car buffed yearly because he drives it and washes it all the time thus it gets scratched all the time from wiping on the surface of the paint.the big disadvantage with single stage is when buffing the paint starting to get thin it will do so on the edges first so i would want to use a dark primmer when this occurs it won't show though as bad another thing clear is a lot easier to blend when doing a repair a single stage is easier to paint whole panel the only problem with sanding a single stage urethane the re top coating it is that if you break a edge anywhere when sanding and try to apply fresh paint to a uncured surface it will lift the paint from the surface causing a mess.

PPG has new clear out called glamor its about 500.00 with activator and reducer it about the best I've shot to date I've used a lot of house of color clear to it's about 300.00 a gallon