Renew my Hagerty policy or spend the $ for an appraisal and regular insurance?

One reason I left State Farm behind and went to Hagerty was the "stated value" thing. My agent called claims and posed a theoretical "total loss" to see what they would pay. She thought for sure the stated value backed up by appraisal would be paid. Nope. After an hour on the phone being ping-ponged around from claims to under-writing to whoever else, the general concensus was they would pay UP TO, but odds are not even close to the appraised stated value.

I now have an agreed upon amount on my car through Hagerty that I am absolutely THRILLED with. And the people I deal with are great!

Stick with specialty companies. I tried insuring mine through Progressive at a stated value and got the paperwork about a week later which read they will cover a total loss in the amount of the actual cash value or the stated value, whichever is less. So basically, I was paying extra money each month with the chance that I would still have to fight to prove what it's worth if something happened. Right now I've got regular full coverage and as much documentation as possible showing the value of the car "just in case".

Well i called Hagerty today, I'm cursed for having a 1987 model car as to them it's "more money involved" if they had to pay out....not due to collision but due to the types of parts used....

Then of course I tried to explain there was no difference between an 86 and an 87 Regal turbo other than a few cosmetical differences.

Thinking about seeing if Grundy can offer me a lower annual rate. Right now I'm paying what I'd pay for reg. car insurance on it but being restricted on when and where I can drive it. Only good thing going is the "agreed on" value.

cars with haggerty-cost per year- insured value
83 Hurst olds- $210- $15k
77 Corvette - $125 -$15k
70 GS stage 1- $175 - $40k
69 Road Runner 440 6BBL -$175- $40k

Well i called Hagerty today, I'm cursed for having a 1987 model car as to them it's "more money involved" if they had to pay out....not due to collision but due to the types of parts used....

Then of course I tried to explain there was no difference between an 86 and an 87 Regal turbo other than a few cosmetical differences.

Thinking about seeing if Grundy can offer me a lower annual rate. Right now I'm paying what I'd pay for reg. car insurance on it but being restricted on when and where I can drive it. Only good thing going is the "agreed on" value.
Call Hagerty back at 800-922-4050. When the prompt gives you the option to dial an extension, enter 8755. It will be a guy named Robert. I am pretty sure he is in underwriting. He has become my point of contact for everything since the point at which I disclosed the amount of liability coverage I wanted (required upper level approval). Explain your car. He seems pretty familiar with these vehicles & can maybe help you out.

Well I gave Robert a call and he pretty much told me there wasn't much that could be done....but pay the price.

I'm working on switching from Hagerty to Grundy as I type. It would save me $200 from $541 to $340.50 a year, with $3000 more stated value on my Mustang.

as a happy grundy guy, i say go grundy no mileage limit and i have an agreed value of $30k on my gn, i do have lo-jack garage and video cameras. i paid $430 for $30k of coverage, sounds like a fair deal to me. you just gotta have another car as a daily driver.:)

Are you sure about the no mileage limit? I have had Grundy for the past years and I would have sworn there were some mileage limitations in addition to the other stipulations they have.

Well I gave Robert a call and he pretty much told me there wasn't much that could be done....but pay the price.
Well that sucks. I don't know why in the world they would charge more. Like you said, it's the same car with a different grille. :confused:

$376 a year for $15k agreed on value, that's not including towing...which is an extra $24 a year for 3 tows.
Ouch. That is pricey.

They charge more for the 87 because of some written policy they have that they say is above their heads that they are regulated to obide by and they cannot change. Some b.s. about how an 87 model car typically costs more to repair than an 86 and earlier. He said he was trying to get them to change the policy because not all cars follow this theory....case in point the TR, which is basically the same as an 86.