Removing windshield

Yes...I would not even try...call a professional and let them do it ...especially re-installing the last thing you need is a leaking windshield.

I agree with x-ray.. its cheap enough. I removed mine and cracked it. Even with the right tools. Not an easy job

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Need to remove it to do some ttop repair dont see the point in paying someone to remove a windshield, replacing yes.

Not really worried about cracking it as I plan on buying a new one and getting them to install it after the tops are repaired

Well if that's the case then just grab the tool from advance or some piano wire and have at it...

I did mine. I used a couple windshield removal tools I picked up from harbor freight. It took some time, and was a bit of a pain, but I got it out.

If you plan on replacing it then have fun. It's a serious PITA to do and I've done it both with wire and the correct cutter.

cover all the painted surfaces with some thick blankets. Might not be a bad idea to park it in the sun for a while before getting started too.

If that is the case...remove the moldings and leave the glass in...it will help protect you dash and stabilize the A pillar during your repair. Bring in the pro for the R and R after you are done.

cover all the painted surfaces with some thick blankets. Might not be a bad idea to park it in the sun for a while before getting started too.

A local glass company that I had contacted removed my glass and only charged the removal portion of my windshield until I call them back to install it. It was only 50 bucks to remove and it will only be 40 to reinstall. It would fall into the category of the best 50 bucks that I've ever spent. Check around on prices, unless you really want "the experience."

I have had good success removing windshields with this:
http://store.snapon.com/Window-and-...-Removal-Steel-Cable-Pull-Handle-P646111.aspx

From my experience with windshields, I became disenchanted with "professionals" who just applied new sealer over the old sealant. When it still leaked (bc the old sealant had delaminated from the factory sealant ) they would claim the area had "rust damage" that voided the warranty.

After having two windshields leak that were "professionally" installed, I installed one myself. It took a few hours to remove all traces of old gasket and re-paint the area, but it didn't leak. Other than that the hardest part was transporting the glass so it wouldn't break!

It took me about an hour trying not to crack it. I didnt crack mine till the very end.

Don't do this. Seal all doors and firewall gromets. Remove trim from windshield. Set off 98' Saturn front airbag module on the center console. It'll come right out. ;)