removing tranny at home

Just make sure you have a 12 pack of brews, its a bitch but it can be done...

On my latest car someone change the bolt on the top right side of the bellhousing to a different size...Took me half an hour to figure that one out.

Oh, And another time the last step I had on an install was the last line trans line on the passenger side. I stripped it, threw a wrench as far as I could that time lol

Not sure I understand how that works. The ratchet straps I've ever used ratcheted tight, but not loose, if you know what I mean. To loosen them you just throw the bail all the way over, and it lets loose of all tension.
Yes, your are correct , but, you can finesse them to loosen a little slower.

It is a bitch to do by yourself !! Not to bad if you got some help. Doing mine now by myself. I built a wooden plate with rails and mounted on the floor jack for installation and it went in very well. Dropping it out with a jack and just a piece of wood is not adviseable from me. It can be dropped and espeacially if your by yourself . I would advise to pull the coil pack and the mount to gain better access from up top to the upper bellhousing bolts ground strap and dipstick. It's not been easy to me and I've been in the heavy industrial mechanical buisiness a long time but I wouldn't have it any other way!!

I just pulled a transmission from a friend's car a few days ago. I took my time and it took me 2 hours. Having two floor jacks and four jack stands is very helpful. The car needs to be high so that you can slide the transmission out from under it.

Well, after a lot of advice from family members that I'm just too old (68)to be attempting this, I've decided to haul it over to RC's and get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just for future reference this is the one that I bought and it works great. I use a ratchet strap to go around the tranny and this plate to safely hold the trans to the fixture. There is a little bit of play in the snout of the fixture that makes lining up the holes easy. I found this a safe alternative and cheaper than a tranny jack it also takes up less room in my small shop.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/tci-896500/overview/

Just FYI. If one of the trans bolts stick in place and you try to weld a nut on them to take it off. Welding sparks will ignite the foam headrest of your creeper that's soaked in transmission fluid and you won't hear it start over the MIG. Just FYI.

Just FYI. If one of the trans bolts stick in place and you try to weld a nut on them to take it off. Welding sparks will ignite the foam headrest of your creeper that's soaked in transmission fluid and you won't hear it start over the MIG. Just FYI.
So Al, how do you know this?

That sounds like a super learning experience . One of the reasons I always have a "spotter" and a fire extinguisher when welding under or in stuff. Can't be too carefull.

Pics please! Lol! Man you had me rolling with that one! I don't really need pics as I got such a visual until it was hilarious!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk