Removing emblems off new body style Silverado

Bescurred

BOOSTED SHAMU v2.0
Took a little bit of time today to remove just the bowtie off my 09 Silverado. Looking for that cleaner look and easier to wax deal. Job took me about 45 mins to do and was really easy. This is actually my second time doing this because I did the same thing to my 2000 Silverado I had

Before:

After:

1st-Get the heat gun out and gun out and heat up the emblem, I used goo gone also to help out. Just sprayed it over the top side and let it soak in.

2nd-I used some decent fishing line and got under the lip of the emblem and used it as a saw moving it back and forth. I did it in three sections, first the left side of the emblem. Then I re-heated the middle area applyed more goo gone and slid the fishing line to the right and finished it up by doing the same thing on the right side.
Once you have it off it'll look like this:

3rd- you'll need one of these
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00488DDB8/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used a cordless drill but if you're going to do the whole set of moulding and emblems you'll need two. They wear down quickly and make a pretty good mess. Some of the areas where a PITA but I kept the eraser wheel moving making sure not to burn the paint. At times I really had to press down on the tailgate and get the wheel going fast. Don't be afraid of it. I'd take the wheel to it and then clean up the area by wiping away the crap from the wheel. It's basically a big eraser and like I said rubber pieces will be flying all over the place.

4th- I used some Zymol cleaner wax and cleaned it up.

I'll eventually get to the door mouldings next. I haven't decided if I want to keep the Silverado and GM emblems yet. But for now I really wanted to get ride of the ugly gold one on the back.

Did my 08 that way, as I noticed the letters on the doors were crooked. NOT a good idea. Evidently they had been removed and replaced, prior to me buying the truck....paint missing under them.......:mad:

Man....you didn't just do the emblems.....you did the body side moldings as well!!:eek:

It does look a lot cleaner and not so Fisher Price!(y)

Good thing you don't have a Ford with that big SUPER DUTY plastered across the tail gate.:smuggrin: You'd probably get all :wacky: :hungry::pompous::confused::cry::LOL::coffee::bigtears: having to deal with that.

Yeah, On some of the fords I think they have holes behind the emblems. I'll update this soon when I take of the side moulding etc...