remove/reinstall steering wheel...

GotGrunt

Hey guys,

This may be a dumb question but I'm about to pull my factory steering wheel to put a reconditioned one on... I have the puller and read up on how to remove it via the search function. My question is, how do you reinstall the new one? This is the first time I've pulled a wheel and I don't want to damage anything, better be safe (and ask dumb questions) than be sorry ;)

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys,

This may be a dumb question but I'm about to pull my factory steering wheel to put a reconditioned one on... I have the puller and read up on how to remove it via the search function. My question is, how do you reinstall the new one? This is the first time I've pulled a wheel and I don't want to damage anything, better be safe (and ask dumb questions) than be sorry ;)

Thanks in advance!

installing the new one is really easy--------just place it so the horn lead is in line with the hole in the steering wheel and it will easily press on with no tools-------use the large nut to pull it fully in place and put the safety clip on and you are done---------watch for the allen screws on the horn ring when you remove it-------only two of them are real metal-------the rest are cosmetic and made of plastic and if you try to unscrew them they will be damaged and look bad

Thanks for the reply! I had a feeling putting it on was pretty straightforward, getting it off is the hard part.

don't just go by the plastic piece for the horn wire to line it up- there is a mark on the end of the steering shaft that points straight up with the wheels centered. this lines up with a corresponding dot on the steering wheel hub. if that line and that dot don't line up, the wheel will be off center and you will be back on here asking why your new wheel is a little bit crooked.

If you're going to pull the wheel, are there any other things that need addressed while you're in there? Ignition, the cruise control stalk, an the infamous loose bolts that cause the "wobble" of the wheel..

Just some ideas...

I know it's easy to do over if necessary. I just like to address everything at one time if possible. Less work for me.

You guys were right, the old wheel popped right off after a few turns of the puller. The new wheel basically slid right on without any issues, looks great :)