remote control mirror

GullsGN

OLD HIPPIE
I am taking parts off of a door. After taking the mirror off the glass in the housing is very loose, but moves with the remote. Does any one know if the cable is mounted in a way that puts tension on the mirror thus making it tight. I don't want to give this to someone if it is not right. My feeling is that when it is fully mounted the glass will be tight.

I am taking parts off of a door. After taking the mirror off the glass in the housing is very loose, but moves with the remote. Does any one know if the cable is mounted in a way that puts tension on the mirror thus making it tight. I don't want to give this to someone if it is not right. My feeling is that when it is fully mounted the glass will be tight.

Anyone??

Yes, it will tighten back up. I bought a brand new pass side from GM and it did the same thing until I installed it.

Years ago when mine was loose I took two pair of needle nose pliers and stretched the outside sheath of the wire. When I had a gap I wrapped a turn of safety wire into the groove. It seems like I did one loop on each of the three leads to tighten up the mirror.