relocation ac controls

mikeneedacar

Is there any way i can relocate the ac controls so i can custom mount a screen where the radio and the ac is. the screen is a 7in wide screen that hooks up to my computer. it runs turblink and plays dvd, gps, mp3, and controls my alarm. i have the computer mounted in the truck. here is a pic of the screen. any ideas of mounting would be great. thanks.

http://www.xenarc.com/product/700y.html

I bought an Alpine CVA 1005. It has the flip out screen. So you can have the screen out and push a button and it goes down to reach the heater/AC. Also I saw a GN up at the St. Ignace, MI car show with one fit into the dash where the two central air ducts are.

Nick

Originally posted by mikeneedacar
Is there any way i can relocate the ac controls so i can custom mount a screen where the radio and the ac is. the screen is a 7in wide screen that hooks up to my computer. it runs turblink and plays dvd, gps, mp3, and controls my alarm. i have the computer mounted in the truck. here is a pic of the screen. any ideas of mounting would be great. thanks.

http://www.xenarc.com/product/700y.html
Whats up Mike, I dont know about relocating the A/C controls, but how much is that monitor?
Charles

without touchscreen 300 and with about 375. go to mp3car.com and they have a bunch of info on these screens

Mike,
I designed a similiar system for my car a couple of years ago...I had to relocate the AC controls to accomodate a 10.4" touchscreen I put in the front. It runs off a computer I have mounted in the trunk. I built a custom mounting bracket, as well as a custom center console, put the screen at an angle starting at the top of that square cutout which houses the stereo and heater/ac controls. All of the vacuum hoses that come out of the AC in the back can be extended easily (I used some tubing and heat shrink to seal it), however there is one mechanical control for the hot/cold lever that is not so easy to move. I ended up drilling a hole in the drivers side of the square cutout, and running a lever to control this. It works, but could probably look a lot better... You can check out the pics at my site to get some idea of my install, but there are not any of the screen mounting unfortunately. I will try to take some pics when I get back in town and put them up on the site, but it will probably be a week or so...

The site is at http://www.laclair.net/gn

Chip

yeah that control i was woried about. i want to put it in the glove box with the radio so i think it will reach. the only thing i am worried about now is how to mount the screen on the orginal bezel and cutting the metal piece behind the bezel. i would love see pic of ur setup. what software are u running and there is alot of info on mp3car.com if u havent be there yet.

Mike,
Yeah, I was one of the original members on mp3car.com a couple of years ago...but haven't been there lately. I am sure this is a ton of new stuff out there now (which I will be incorporating in to mp3buick v2.0 when I get around to building it). I am running ME in hibernation mode with Winamp software, delorme GPS, turbolink, divx player, etc. I am looking into a new setup for one of my 87 GNs that includes a smaller (but brighter) screen like yours or the lilliput(?) hooked into a laptop under the passenger seat. This is probably the best setup for reliability, and is fairly easy to install. Let me know if/when you get the screen to fit in there, I would be very interested in how it worked out. I will be back in town next week and will try to post a few more pics of my setup. Later,

Chip