Refinishing Rear End (Differential / Axle Tubes)

1KWIKSIX

Originally posted this in the Show Car and Restoration / Body Repair section but thought I'd post in this section too. Am looking at refinishing my rear end (differential / axles) this winter to get rid of the surface rust and then paint black.

Can any recommended products for stripping and procedures for this ?
I don't have access to a glass bead / sand blaster and will be doing this at home in my heated garage over the winter.

Thanks

dave

I'm going to do this, also.
My plan:
Remove from the car, strip the brake lines, backing plates, etc.
Drain the fluid, wash gear cavity down w/ brake clean.
In my case, it's undercoated, so I'll have to strip that crap off, too. Kerosene attacks it well.:arghh:
Mine is a peg leg. It'll get brgs, Eaton, seals, new brakes, brake lines, T/A cover.
I am also installing boxed control arms, and poly bushings.
Surface rust can be killed w/ Must For Rust spray, from HD or Lowes. {About $8 for a spray bottle}.
Once that is done, it's wire brush in a drill, wipe w/ wax/grease remover, shoot w/ etch prime, paint.
I have a glasbead cabinet, to use on the brake parts. I may have the hsg sand blasted, as mine will be totally "naked"..
Have "fun".. WEAR safety glasses!

Dave
I use a Blue point angle and straight mini die grinder, they are cheap and last forever. I put a blanket or 2 on the ground and wash the diff with brake clean. I get the adapter and buy the 3m discs and get as much as much off as I can. I also get some wire wheel and wire brush ends from Princes Auto for the die grinder. Then I wash again with brake clean and paint with Tremclad Semi gloss paint. I roll the tubes with a 4 inch foam roller and brush the Cast pumpkin and end brackets. Then I remove the vent and replace it with a new one and the fill plug with a magnetic style. Now remove the diff cover and have is glass beaded and paint with Duplicolour semi gloss and use new ARP-430-3516 black oxide bolts. You can now take the 4 control arms off one at a time and paint with the same duplicolour paint. I also roll the sway bar with a foam roller. Hope this helps

Just did mine. I'm not big into shows, so didn't go overboard. I degreased with brake clean around the cover, only oily spot. Then wire brushed with the cylindrical brushes Eastwood sells. Wiped down with wax/grease remover. Then a couple coats of Eastwood texturized rust encapsulator. Then Eastwood Extreme Chassis black. Attached it to the freshly boxed control arms with new bushings and new bilsteins. And powder coated with new ta cover in clear so it looks good for a while.

Attachments

• 1452126728964.jpg
    1452126728964.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 202
  • 1452126865513.jpg
    1452126865513.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 167
I used Eastwood chassis coat, Hit it with a wire brush and sprayed it. The cover got semi gloss black powder.

Before

After

All the control arms got semi gloss powder too

7eb4a9f14522ef22e55bf8d11e0188de.jpg
9c078a62da8b58c322defb15fde823ff.jpg
7c167c5e1a5612f0d7072093caa71fe6.jpg

I took mine and got it sand blasted. Use Eastwood Extreme Chasis Black on top of primer. Did this on both cars the SS brake lines make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to all for your pictures and comments. These have been very helpful.
Wow! You've all done a great job and the finished product looks GREAT!
Certainly seems a lot of work is involved in completing this type of a project.
However, in all cases it appears that..."The Juice is certainly worth the squeeze"

dave