Best Way to Refinish my Rear End?

1KWIKSIX

Looking at refinishing my rear end (differential / axles) this winter to get rid of the surface rust and then paint black.

Any recommended products for stripping and procedures for this ?

Thanks

dave

About 2 years ago, I did the undercarriage of a 12,000 mile gnx. The car was stored in a damp garage,undercarriage was a mess. I removed the rear end assy. glass bead the rear cover, soaked the housing with rust-mort, cleaned,wire wheel the entire housing, I applied ppg dp90 black epoxy primer, and painted with semi-gloss black. Note, I removed brake lines,and items.. I have some photos, i can e-mail to you.. Best wishes with job!!!

Here is a before and after of what I did on my old GN

undercarriage - before.jpg

undercarriage - after.jpg

I hit the rusty areas with a wire brush then applied a couple coats of Rustoleum Rust Reformer with a brush. You could put it in a spray bottle for the hard to reach areas. It converts rust to a black paintable surface that will act as a primer. The "after" photo is the cured product without any paint. Because the car was a garage queen I never needed to paint it. If you drive in the rain then you would need to paint it or else it will start rusting again eventually.

It's a real s$!t job. Pull the rear, remove the lines, degrease and wire wheel clean the diff. Clean it up and spray it. I might have some picks of mine. A lot of work but you will definitely be happy with the results.

Here is a before and after of what I did on my old GN

View attachment 271031

View attachment 271032

I hit the rusty areas with a wire brush then applied a couple coats of Rustoleum Rust Reformer with a brush. You could put it in a spray bottle for the hard to reach areas. It converts rust to a black paintable surface that will act as a primer. The "after" photo is the cured product without any paint. Because the car was a garage queen I never needed to paint it. If you drive in the rain then you would need to paint it or else it will start rusting again eventually.
Looks great