Red and amber (Orange) Led lights for interior?

jretrodude

Has anyone converted over to led interior lights yet on their gn? I'm looking for the brightest red and either amber or orange and the correct part # and where to buy them from? I'm confused as their are so many different styles? 8 12 etc. for the bulbs or lights. I do know some are dimmer than others I will probably do my dash lights last since I can't get the speedo out it's a PITA!!! I have a t-top car so I do know the back lights are a different style bulb. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And no I do not want to go with the kirban style I think he only offers the white or blue lighting. Trying to do a custom look to match the turbo 6 badges.

Try superbrightleds.com. When I had my Challenger guys on the board were using that site to convert their interior lights.

I just recently read someone's post on this forum about LED lights for the interior and he said not to convert as they don't last long and burn out more frequently..........

This is just what HE said......I thought I'd bring it to your attention.........however, this guy may be wrong, I don't know......it did make me have second thoughts about converting my GN interior and Jeep interior lights to LEDs, until I can do further research and obtain reliable opinions.

No flaming me now......I'm just stating what I remember reading a few days ago on this forum.....I don't remember what section. Sorry.

Bruce '87 Grand National

LED's burning out more often???? I think he may be wrong. That's one of the strong points of LED's is their extreme life span. Usually in excess of 10,000 hours!! That and their extremely low power draw.
Virtually every bulb on my Lincoln, except the adaptive HID headlights are all LED's. Most new cars now are almost completely LED equipped.

I called nick at superbrights and he wants me to give him all the part numbers of the bulbs to give me the correct ones I'm looking for. He did say for the turn signals I would need a resistor which I'm not interested in doing but he did say the upper marker lights could be LED and the third brake light? Anyone have the part numbers for the bulbs? What do you guys think of the red and amber idea?

go to nos4gn.com they have all the bulbs listed by function. and have the numbers on the pics

Update I have the brightest bulbs from what nick said with me but one more thing? For the lt. turn rt. turn SES light volts etc. in the cluster should I get the exact colors for those, remove the black film cover from over them, or just get cool white? I'm really wanting to get red and amber for lt. and rt. turn and bright red for volts etc. I'm going to have to take my car in as well and have the dash done it's a real PITA!! and I can't get it to pull out. Any input on my idea would be greatly appreciated thanks.

I just recently read someone's post on this forum about LED lights for the interior and he said not to convert as they don't last long and burn out more frequently..........

This is just what HE said......I thought I'd bring it to your attention.........however, this guy may be wrong, I don't know......it did make me have second thoughts about converting my GN interior and Jeep interior lights to LEDs, until I can do further research and obtain reliable opinions.

No flaming me now......I'm just stating what I remember reading a few days ago on this forum.....I don't remember what section. Sorry.

Bruce '87 Grand National
Typical lifespan of an LED is 50,000 hours........LEDs are the way to go but will cost a little extra. For hard to get to bulbs like in a dash I would ALWAYS replace with LED.

Bryan

Update I have the brightest bulbs from what nick said with me but one more thing? For the lt. turn rt. turn SES light volts etc. in the cluster should I get the exact colors for those, remove the black film cover from over them, or just get cool white? I'm really wanting to get red and amber for lt. and rt. turn and bright red for volts etc. I'm going to have to take my car in as well and have the dash done it's a real PITA!! and I can't get it to pull out. Any input on my idea would be greatly appreciated thanks.
I don't know about changing the volt light with an LED.Make sure it will not interfere with the charging system.

I just recently changed out all my bulbs to LED's. All cluster lights, A/C light, shift selector light, and dome light. Love them but you do lose dim functionality.
Here is a pic, the passenger floorboard light hadn't been changed yet for comparison.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1402488614.324286.jpg

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

All the bulbs except the dome light are part #194. The dome light is #561

I just bought what I needed from eBay for around $20 bucks.

As for getting the cluster out, I took the entire surround off first (padded area around cluster) then I was able to get my hand back there to release the speedo cable and unscrew the wire going into next to the speedo cable.

It would be nice if someone who has done this or has knowledge with these would do a write up on what exacted bulbs are needed for a compete swap.
I was looking trying to figure it out myself so I could do a swap and it is confusing.

It would be a nice sticky to have posted.

sin that looks very nice really brightens up your interior I'm going all out doing the trunk light under hood, back t top opera lights, all in the red and amber. I was quoted from 2 shops today that removing that cluster and putting in the lights is going to cost about 125 bucks!!! OUCH!! oh and to lube the speedo cable since it would be out.

I used marine beam and super bright leds to convert my all my boat lights. They have all kinds. I used cool white for the best color for accent/cockpit lighting. Just pull the existing bulbs out, and find its replacement on the website was easy peasy, and cheap since they are all direct replacements and no wire splicing.

Y
I don't know about changing the volt light with an LED.Make sure it will not interfere with the charging system.
You can use a resistor to simulate the incadescent along with the led. Thats what we did with the NVU dashes a bunch of us installed this winter.