Rear main oil seal

turb

What's the best rear main oil seal? Or aren't there any choices? Are there any "tricks" for doing the replacement?

Thanks

Turb

RMS

I just did mine 10k ago. Some people say switch to the neoprene seal, some say stay with the rope. Neoprene seal has been reported to mar the surface of the output side of the crank when she wears down. The rope seal (factory) just starts pissing out oil when it starts to go. I did go with neoprene because of installation ease. Engine is out of car and I will go back to rope when I am done spending my kids college money.

I know of no "special" or "performance" seals for these engines. I just went to my local special education staffed autoparts store.

Hi Gene,

I'm getting back to my oil seal problem. You mentioned the Grooms article about installing one. Can you direct me to a site for this or send me a copy?

Thanks

Jack

This (above) is the procedure I follow(ed) using the neoprene FelPro seal. I blew oil out of the first seal but not out of the second. I added dual VC breathers with the second go-round to vent off some crank case pressure.

Other than the procedure here is a trick based on my problem of a leaking oil pan. Find yourself a cork gasket. Order one from a vendor, Rol makes them as does at least one other gasket maker. Run a tap into each pan bolt hole then spray them out with some cleaner like O2 safe TB cleaner. Be careful of falling cleaner, wrap a towel around the straw. Clean the block and pan rail, then clean it again. Dry fit the pan to make sure you know how to get it in. In my TTA it gets tricky due to space. Other than that I used a minimal amount of RTV on both sides of the gasket and made sure to torqu the pan bolts in an alternating pattern stepping up to the correct spec.

Brent

Gene,

Got the article from you and it helps a lot. Did send you a thanks on 2-10 via normal email. Thanks again.

Mickey, thanks for the heads up on the GN/Ttype article too.

Jack

Originally posted by 19gn87
turb,

Just wanted to make sure you read THIS

HTH

I checked out that instuction site. I was waiting for them to go into those seals and pins that slide in the grooves on either side of the cap. Last time I told someone how to do it here on the board, all these experts jumped in with the useless information about the installation of the seals and pins. Whatever floats your boat. :rolleyes: I just squeeze the correct RTV up into those grooves. It's easy, works great, and doesn't leak. No need for those extra parts that come with the neoprene rear seal kit.

I think I'll do just what you said. I tried to call GSCA a number of times to ask about the special seal but the line is ALWAYS busy. I don't have a membership either so probably couldn't get one wothout paying the $35 membership fee anyway.

seal

Bingo!!!!
1-800-869-8711--Enginetech
Part # S1389--rear main seal---2 piece--1975-88--- seal only
1--$4.78
20-$3.11
This is the Sabo seal.
I just ordered 2, so if they won/t sell to you (this is jobber prices), I will forward 1 to you. Maybe I should order 20.

Lee,

Sure, I'll take one. Let me know how much including shipping.

Good find! I tried and came up w/ nothing.

Thanks,

Jack

Rear main seal

I have rear main seals from Postons and Fel-Pro. Both have a molded in P/N as SCI 501389. Maybe both are made by Selastomer?

Just something interesting I thought.

Mark

Originally posted by Red Regal T
I checked out that instuction site. I was waiting for them to go into those seals and pins that slide in the grooves on either side of the cap. Last time I told someone how to do it here on the board, all these experts jumped in with the useless information about the installation of the seals and pins. Whatever floats your boat. :rolleyes: I just squeeze the correct RTV up into those grooves. It's easy, works great, and doesn't leak. No need for those extra parts that come with the neoprene rear seal kit.

Agreed. I did the rear main the past 2 weekends in a row. First round, I used the inserts. (then I read the gnttype article in detail AFTER it was leaking again) :rolleyes: Second round I did not. Finally no leak. :rolleyes: Just be SURE the mating surfaces are squeeky clean! :rolleyes:

thanks scotty, also how much rtv do you use on the oil pan? Just a little on each side??