Rear main leak or just oil pan?

89mulletbird

So I got my oil pan removed to inspect the rear main, however I don't know if my oil leak was just from the oil pan. If the rear main was leaking, wouldn't the flywheel be covered in oil? My flywheel is dry as a bone, but the oil pan had a rubber gasket so it's possible that just the oil pan was leaking. I really don't want to change the rear main if it isn't leaking!

Thanks!

Wash off the area with brake cleaner and then see where the leak comes from.

If its rear main, just letting sit idling will pass oil.

So I got my oil pan removed to inspect the rear main, however I don't know if my oil leak was just from the oil pan. If the rear main was leaking, wouldn't the flywheel be covered in oil? My flywheel is dry as a bone, but the oil pan had a rubber gasket so it's possible that just the oil pan was leaking. I really don't want to change the rear main if it isn't leaking!

Thanks!

Hi!

I would like to ask you a question if I may? I see you have some nice mods so I must ask, have the heads been off the motor or possibly the intake? If the answer is yes, there's a very good possibility that the leak is coming from the sealing of the intake manifold. I'm not saying that the rear main is not the problem, just that all the symtoms are very similar including dripping oil when the motor is off. OK! I think I should say this. If it is the rear main and yer running a stock block, bearing caps and crank with big boost, the problem will continue, it may or may not take a while but it will continue. If it turns out to be the pan, I would highly recommend using a product called Gasgacinch by Edelbrock on both sides of yer pan gasket wether it be rubber or cork. You can get it from Summit and sometimes from yer local speed shop.