Rear frame X member?

I don't remember the length needed but Home Depot's 1x1 is too short.

That brace looks like it is well clear of the fill neck..Can't tell if it's a bolt in, nor if it's on a brkt that lowers it below the frame... like the ft one appears to be.

This must be some kind of super secret shyt...The ? STILL remains: Will a bar, BELOW the frame, 1" in ft of the bumper shock mt flanges clear the fuel filler????
40 posts and still no one knows??

That's a mirror site Chuck. The original one had much better pics, and it does clear the filler neck.;)

My car is at the shop but if you stretch a tape measure across you could find out. Pretty sure the rear one just bolts on at the bumper mount.

My car is at the shop but if you stretch a tape measure across you could find out. Pretty sure the rear one just bolts on at the bumper mount.

And my car has the frame removed from under the body....No tape stretch here.

Ok guys, this is quick and crude, but I just laid under the rear of my car and this will work and clear the gas filler.
Your gonna make 2 "L" shaped brackets that will bolt onto the bumper mounting pads on the rear of the frame. The brackets will have to the have the bend facing the bumper. Make the bends so you have enough room to run either 1x2 rectangular steel or 1.5" chromoly tubing and weld it directly parallel with the bumper. I measured and it will be hard to run it any other way because of the spare tire well. This whole brace should take no longer then 2-3 hours max. It can be done with a bench vise, hand drill, and a hack saw. Weld it up, throw some paint on it, and bolt it in along with the bumper.
Here are some pics, and a very rough sketch. I know you guys will be able to make it out, I colored the "L" brackets so they stick out.
Let me know if you need a better drawing.
All the measurements are from the bumpers bottom edge.
Coach
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1375650153.320660.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1375650188.893443.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1375650204.545568.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1375650219.289425.jpg

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Pretty much what I had in mind.:) We have a large metal supplier in town but they don't sell to the public. I'll have to do some scrounging around to find some stock. I have a Grizzly bench vise bending brake that I think could handle the L brackets. How thick do you think the brackets and tubing needs to be?

This would be a nice project for the "fabrication" section.

Pretty much what I had in mind.:) We have a large metal supplier in town but they don't sell to the public. I'll have to do some scrounging around to find some stock. I have a Grizzly bench vise bending brake that I think could handle the L brackets. How thick do you think the brackets and tubing needs to be?
I would use 1/8 inch plate and 1/8 wall tubing. I use the Chassisworks.com
They sell chromoly plate and tubing very reasonable. Do what I do and buy enough to make 2, and sell the other to a friend to make it cheaper for both of you.

I think it would be better if it hung down rather than behind things Donnie. If done right it could also be used to hold up the car on jack stands so you can do suspension work on the rear.;)

I think it would be better if it hung down rather than behind things Donnie. If done right it could also be used to hold up the car on jack stands so you can do suspension work on the rear.;)
If it hung down, it would be visible. Not many guys would want it visible. It would be really nice for those guys running glass bumpers on the street.

I would use 1/8 inch plate and 1/8 wall tubing. I use the Chassisworks.com
They sell chromoly plate and tubing very reasonable. Do what I do and buy enough to make 2, and sell the other to a friend to make it cheaper for both of you.

If anyone one makes a second one similar to "Coach" design and wishes to sell it and if it does not require welding just bolt up, let me know.

If anyone one makes a second one similar to "Coach" design and wishes to sell it and if it does not require welding just bolt up, let me know.

I'd take one too! Bet you could sell a lot of these if they'd become available.

dave

Donnie, how far beyond the end of the frame does the bar have to be, to clear the spare tire well?
Also, I need an exact dimension between the holes. [the frames spread when the body and bumpers are removed.] I can make mine as the frame is out. But, if someone makes these, others may have varying C/L dimensions, and have issues getting them on. [Slotted holes?]

Moving this to the fab section..........

I would not slot the holes if I could help it. In my opinion, if the holes were slotted, the the brace could still move regardless of how tight you got it. The bumper mounts are slotted so you can adjust it, but I think I would build the brace and then pry it onto the mounts and know its doing the job.
It does not need to stick out at all. If you bend the "L" brackets and run straight across, you will see it clears. That's why I put the tape measure in the pics. The spare tire tube is like 5-6 inches from the rear bumper. The brace will sit within an inch or so of the rear bumper, in the space shown in the first pic.

If it hung down, it would be visible. Not many guys would want it visible. It would be really nice for those guys running glass bumpers on the street.

If you did it right though someone might mistake it for a trailer hitch Donnie. That would add to a sleeper look and fool a lot of people.;)

If you did it right though someone might mistake it for a trailer hitch Donnie. That would add to a sleeper look and fool a lot of people.;)
Well I guess you could, but in my case, that won't work. My car sits with the nose about 3 inches off the ground, it has a downforce wing off the decklid, a 4 inch exhaust, and 12 inch wide tires on the rear...I think "sleeper" has long passed me by.
I could hang it down with a Reese type mount and plug in a parachute, but Brian Lorenz would kill me...for real!!!

I don't know if I would personally want it, if you could see it. That's the main reason I have not done the trailer hitch setup on mine. Would rather have it out of view.