rear/frame not centered under the body?

S

Slowazzbu

I'm making some minor supension changes (pieces that I've designed & built) and I've uncovered a nagging problem with the car. The frame of g-bodies are not centered under the body, so I shifted the frame as far as possible (towards the drivers side) way back when I did the frame-off years ago. This helped some, but it appears as though the rear/frame is still shifted towards the passenger side by about 3/8" or so.

I've got a real tight clearance issue with the quarter panels & tires (side-to-side). I can adjust the upper control arm lengths to center the rear, but that simply creates a pre-load condition that I'm not happy about.

Have any of you noticed this problem with g-bodies? Have any of you attempted to correct this offset, if so, how did you center the rear without creating pre-load or binding in the suspension?

Also, I don't know if my car is typical of the amount of offset...anyone care to say if and how much your frame/body offst is?

Pretty common to be off a bit...body cushion mounts allow the body to be positioned off center if one is not careful. Normally, most can be brought pretty close by shifting body on the frame.

Yep,
Mine is the exact same way. I thought about shifting the body over (mines over 1/2" off to one side), but didn't want to screw with realigning the fenders and nose. So I just bought rear wheels with different offsets to make it "look" right. I found out a few years ago when I first noticed it that there are actually quite a few TR's out there like this. :(

Derrick